CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:33 PM
Veteran

Default leadan email me on your mesh

sponsored links

leadan,sorry you are having problems.1,your new mesh should be setup that the writer is on 1 ide chn and the dvd/cdrom is on the other.from experiance of my other pc it makes no differance and ignore nero saying this.you do get a nero disc,the backup cd has only windows xphome on it.phone the sales again and say you know somebody who has a new mesh pc and 1, the writer is set on 1 ide channal and the other on the 2nd ide channal.2, it comes with a separate nero cd oem as you know somebody who has a new mesh pc.be persistant.colin [email]colin5scoblec@sniffout.com[/email] you do have a 3yr onsite warranty,bought mine before this came in.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 08:47 PM
Banned

zack371
top answer

also change the buffer to 4mb if u can,also reconfig,,your jumpers on the back of burner(s)

Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:00 AM
Veteran

Leadan,

problem is, your CDRW and CDRom actually should be on a different IDE. If you can't do this, first of all make sure the [u]CDRom[/u] is installed as primary [u]slave[/u], and your [u]CDRW[/u] is installed as secondary [u]master[/u]. (this is done by swithing the pin at the back f the device, if you don't know how to do this, check your manuals)
If you are sure the drives are installed correctly and the problem still exists, try changing the DMA setting of both your drives.
(new drives should work using DMA, however not all drives fully support this option)

Go to 'my computer' right click the CDRW and choose 'properties' you will find an option here which switches DMA. Set this to [b]OFF[/b]. Do the same thing with your CDRom and reboot your system.

All should work fine now.

[img]***********.ewandew.com/sig/Awiz.gif [/img]

Last edited by merlin_the_magician; Jan 29, 2002 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:18 PM
Veteran

Default leadan has anew xp pc from mesh 3yrs warranty

leadan,like me has anew pc from mesh uk,he has xp preloaded home so dma as we know is enabled in the primary/secondary ide cns.anyway,as he has 1,got a 3yr on site warranty needs if he wants to ask for an engineer to come out as his new pc appears not to be configered properly.2,as he has no nero disc needs to insist he gets 1 in the post.3,as i say from personal experiance the writer/dvd/cdrom being on the same ide channal with his set up will not make any noticeable difference,he has a fast athlon and a high spec pc.4,whatever happens he is coverered by his 3yr warranty other then software.5,my pc has been set up so my writer is on 1 ide master,my dvd/cdrom slave on another ide chn.off subject i have new fiesta with transmission noise,the dealers say and fords all new fiesta gearboxes are noisy top up with oil no cure,i am takeing it as far as i can,my point leadans pc works ok with the writer/dvd/cdrom on the same ide chn so he must decide like me how far wego ie in my case new gearbox till no transsmission noise or a compromise as the car has also 3yr warranty.colin
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:47 AM
suspended

The optimal set up is to have the reader and writer on different IDE cables, however if you have a 'burnproof' drive and a fast system then there won't be any problems.
I have my Plexy 12x & a DVDROM sharing a cable & burn on the fly, sure burnproof kicks in a couple of times but that's what it's there for.
There's no need to call out the maintenance guy or worry about warranty etc, The error message you get from Nero is standard & just says 'by the way you have a reader on the same IDE cable as the writter', that way if you get a buffer underrun you can't blame Nero for it!!.

It's like those warnings on McDonalds Coffee cups 'Contents may be hot' - well really?
Old Jan 30, 2002, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Thanks for your replies.
Like I said in my earlier post "on my old computer I have made copies 'on the fly' using adaptec easy cd and never had this warning or problem" even though both reader and writer are connected to the same IDE bus.

Darkman :I appreciate what you are saying but I've only had this computer a week and can't understand why they have done it this way.

Colin:I have e-mailed technical support about this as it is obviously better to have them on seperate IDE channels like yours is. Also received my Nero 5.5 software cd today,although they haven't sent me a manual for the cd writer. Perphaps they don't supply them ?