CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 30, 2002, 04:43 PM
suspended

Cool Hey it's cool, don't sweat it.

sponsored links

Leadan your set up is fine. The Nero warning is one of those light-weight ones, nothing to worry about. No other burning software I know of even bothers with this kind of message.
The absolutely worst thing that can happen is that you will get a buffer underrun and the disc you are trying to burn will fail. What's that going to cost?, well about a dollar for a new CDR disc.
Buffer underruns do not cause any hardware damage, the write buffer just runs out of data and the burn to the disc stops.

Why was your system set up that way?, well when you have 3 IDE devices and only 2 IDE channels then 2 devices have to share one, Given that the HD should be the Primary Master and having the burner as the Secondary Master is the standard set up that leaves the choice of having the CDROM as either the Primary Slave or Secondary Slave. Either set up will work.

So no need to panic, call up tech support or make an appointment with the Lawyers, your PC is correctly set up, although you don't say what model burner you have I can't think of any current generation burners that don't have Burnproof of some kind.
Burnproof is a circuit within the burner that monitors the state of the write buffer, if the buffer runs low - typically under 10% of capacity - 'burnproof' kicks in, storing the location of the last successful data write and pausing the burn, when the write buffer refills with data the burner resumes burning from that stored location. The gap between where the burn stoped and restarted on the disc is so low that no error is detected when the disc is read.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 05:34 PM
Veteran

Darkman,how can I check to see how many IDE channels I have got ?

My hdd is on location 0 (0)
My cd rom is on location 0(0)
My writer is on location 1(1)

I assume this means my reader and hdd are sharing the same IDE channel.
My cd writer is a Teac with burnproof.
Sorry if I'm making a big thing out of this but if it is possible to have my hdd,reader and writer all on seperate IDE channels then I would rather have it like that. If its not possible then like you say I should still be able to burn 'on the fly' ok because I've got burnproof.

I'm only a novice and all advice/help is appreciated
Old Jan 30, 2002, 07:19 PM
suspended

Almost every Motherboard currently sold has only two IDE channels, called Primary and Secondary. To this you can add two IDE devices to each cable, they are Identified as Master and Slave. So the total possible number of devices you can have is 4:
Primary Master & Primary Slave sharing a cable
Secondary Master and Secondary Slave sharing the other cable.

This really isnt a big deal, it's quite normal for a CDROM to share an IDE cable with a burner. If we were to take a poll here a majority of members would have this setup. Why?, well there is an argument if you put a slower device with a faster one, the lower one will slow down the data transfer rate, Thus a CDROM sharing a cable with a Harddrive would slow down the data transfer rate of the HD (so the theory goes).

Smile and be happy, your setup is as it should be.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Default darkman is right dont worry about setup

glad you got your nero software ok,i to am fairly new to pcs but darkman is right,its only nero that detects your ide setup,as we both said the system will burn ok,and as i say 1of my pcs shares the same ide chn and burns at 24x no problems so enjoy your pc.
and if you need advice i may help you with you can always email me.colin
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:18 PM

Also make sure you use 80-conductor cables instead of 40-pin cables.
Old Jul 01, 2002, 07:45 PM
suspended

Wow, this must be a record, the resurection of a thread that's 5 months old!. I think the original problem has been well and truely solved by now.