CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 17, 2002, 06:40 PM

Default New external hard drive problems! Please help!

sponsored links

I just received a 60 gb external hard drive and am having problems. It is a USB 2.0 hard drive and when I plug it in the USB port it says "HI-SPEED USB Device plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub." Then I tried to install the driver that came on a cd that clearly states on the cd that it is Windows compatible and it says about 3/4 of the way through installation, "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP." It also tells about the dangers of continuing the installation and has the option to continue or quit. When I continue and complete the installation the hard drive appears in the system tray, but when I hold the mouse over it it says "no driver." Also there is no new drive listed in My Computer. I also tried it on my laptop which I am almost positive it is USB 2.0 compatible.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:32 PM

Plug it in again, and right-click on My Computer and select Manage...
Click on Disk Management, and in the lower box on the right see if your drive is listed (where it says Disk 1,Basic,Active etc. in grey boxes)
If you can see it there even though there is no drive letter assigned to it, right-click on the grey box and see what the options are in the menu. I can't remember exactly what's in there for removable usb mass storage devices, but it might get you a step closer.
It might not need a driver with XP, instead just detect as a USB Mass Storage Device.
hope that helps anyway.