CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:15 AM
Veteran

Default How Paranoid Are You???

sponsored links

OK,

As we are now a "new" forum, let's get a littlke discussion going. Subject says it all... [b]How paranoid are you about security??[/b] Let us know a bit about what you do to keep your system safe, or do you do nothing at all?

Here is my setup.

First of all is my antivirus. I use Norton AV 2002. I know it costs money, but hey, it is worth it IMHO. I have never had a virus problem as long as I have been running it.

Now, firewall. I used to use ZoneAlarm. Then I switched to Tiny Personal Firewall. I liked Tiny. Much more "geek-oriented." You could configure everything much more minutely than you could ZoneAlarm. Then my company started doing a lot of hardware firewalls. We use mainly Netscreen firewalls. They are incredibly POWERFUL! I mean, they annihilate Cisco PIX, Symantec Raptor, you name it. (Well, there is Sidewinder, but that is just a whole different story all together) Anyways, I got a Netscreen 5-XP free when I went to their training. Netscreen's are marketed to businesses primarily. As a matter of fact, Microsoft just implemented them for their SQL development labs, because their own ISA Server security product couldn't do it!!

Anyways, now I have a Netscreen 5-XP on my LAN at home protecting my cable modem connection. My software firewalls used to get alerts several times a day before. Since I have put in the Netscreen, I have literally not had one. I love it! I have a laptop that I carry around for work and stuff. It also has NAV2002 for antivirus. I am running Outpost on it right now, since it is not always behind my hardware firewall.

I have used The Cleaner for a while for Trojans, etc. I am going to give Tauscan a try though, on Lazza's recommendation.

Well, as you can see, I am kinda a security geek. I like my stuff to be left ALONE!! Oh yah, I also use PGP with a 2048K key with a 30 character password. Anyways, that is my setup. Come one guys and gals, post your setup here. Also, tell why you do or do not use a particular product. Constructive comments only though. [b]No flaming a particular product.[/b] We want to try and learn some stuff here. "XYZ sucks!" dosn't help anyone.

All right, have at it.

-Zack-

[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif[/img]

Last edited by zack371; Jul 18, 2002 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:55 AM
suspended

I'll get the ball rolling so to speak....
I also use NAV 2002 for antivirus. I use both ZoneAlarm Pro 3 and Sygate personal pro 5 for software firewalls. I also run The Cleaner having the TC Monitor and TC Active running continuously. I use a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router to network and act as a hardware firewall. I also use hushmail. Am I paranoid? Definitely! Do I ever have any security problems? No! So I guess being paranoid isn't such a bad thing after all.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:30 PM
suspended

Norton A/V Sucks!!! Woops, sorry zack.

Actually IMHO the 2002 is not bad at all, seems to use much less memory than it used to.

I use F-Secure for A/V, IMHO it cannot be beaten with "3" seperate scanning engines combined in one and when I've put it under test it will find obscure viruses that others just will not.

Sygate V5 Pro for Firewall. I used to use a double umbrella system operating NeoWatch & ZAP at the same time which used to lead to a lot of on screen security warnings. I get none with Sygate, and apart from the proxy issue I mentioned in an earlier post I am more than happy with this software.

Used The Cleaner for a long time for trojan defence but just changed to Tauscan (by the makers of Outpost Firewall btw) after it's excellent test results.

Also AdAware & Spybot: Search & Destroy! to find any pesky little spy files.

Activator e-mail which stops all the spam and other carp.

I reckon as Elaine said, it pays to be a little paranoid. I guess the best piece of security advice I've ever picked up and it's [B]FREE[/B] is go into Internet Explorer> Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and make sure that there is a nice tick alongside "Do NOT save encrypted files to disc". If you do online banking or a lot of buying on the web you would be crazy not to.

Last edited by Lazza; Jul 19, 2002 at 05:02 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 01:38 PM

AVG 6.0 anti virus - never let me down yet (that's tempting it)
Agnitum Outpost Firewall - Rock Solid, only IE lets it down, in as much you have to have IE as a 'trusted application' and IE sends some information to every website you visit.
Tauscan - always running
The Cleaner - TCA&TCM always running
SpamKiller
Selective Active X & Java - through Outpost
I check for updates at least twice daily
I have a mirror on my monitor - just incase someone try to creep up on me
Howard Hughes was a fine man
The machete under my desk is for decoration.
Paranoid? Moi? - Nah! It's all the others
Old Jul 18, 2002, 05:31 PM

Im new to computers so what do you lot think of Mcafee pro, fire wall & anti virus software. Is this good enough.

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2002, 05:54 PM
Veteran

lol kasimir mirror and machette

I use
Avg (resident shield and primary scanner)
Mcafee anti virus (secondary scanner)
Both updated regularly.
Trojan first aid kit (very basic and doesent detect that many trojans but I only use it to view running processes and scan my ports)
Outpost Firewall (nothing in trusted apps only partialy allowed and only allow the ports that are nescesary, block all apps that can access the net that i dont need explorer, word, paint shop pro etc)
ad aware (anti spyware)
spybot search and destroy (anti spyware, keyloggers and any files that contain logs)
Keep up to date with m$ patches and regularly check.
Scripting only enabled when needed active x only ever for windows update.
Cookies only enabled when needed.
Snort (packet sniffer)

Ive probably left something out though

And generally keep up to date with the security/hacking scene.

Ive noticed a few of you double barreling with spoftware firewalls, Ive never seen the point of this In my oppinion if your past one your past the other, Im just wondering if you found it useful running 2 software firewalls?

Paranoid no wise yes.