CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 20, 2002, 10:11 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Well,

As far as Windows XP goes, that is an interesting question. OK, first of all, there have been security holes obviously. The UniversalPnP issue comes to mind. Then of course there are your various IE bugs, etc. I use wireless networking a lot - yes, I know it isn't the MOST secure thing in the world. See, I balance security with convenience. If someone wants to sniff my web browsing in my living room, FINE. I don't sit there going over my checking account or anything like that. Windows XP is BEAUTIFUL with my wireless stuff. I like the fact that XP Pro does has all the reliabilty of Windows 2000 (at least for me so far), but it can also play most games relatively well. Now, no Microsoft OS is perfect... then again, neither is any OS. Windows XP has been criticized for its Product Activation. I understand the concern there. Then again, as evil as many people think Microsoft is, it is still a business. If they want to make us activate Windows, well then that is their call. Doesn't mean I like it, but still. I use Linux somewhat as well. I like it a lot to be honest. As a matter of fact, I am currently typing this in Linux as we speak. I use Linux more as an educational thing. I don't use it because it is the "uber-1337 h4x0r" operating system. I love computers and want to learn as many different systems as I can. I know I am not really answering your question, but let me try. I use Windows XP on my laptop because it does what I want it to do. I keep it updated, run AV, firewalls, etc. The convenience is just worth the risk to me. I reformat all my machines so often anyways, it doesn't reall matter to me. I do like Linux a lot, but when I am at a customer's and have to test their software, etc, XP does the trick. I mean, I could run Linux, configure it to the hilt and be really secure. But, the lack of convenieince just wouldn't be worth it to me. Now, as far as webservers, etc go, I am a big fan of Linux. So, WinXP may not be the most secure OS ever, but with a bit of tweaking and a few downloads, you can keep it secure enough for most purposes.

Anyways, I guess I really didn't give you a good answer, just a lot of boring drivel. If you have sepcific security questions about XP, let me know and I might be able to help you out...if this post hasn't put you to sleep!

-Zack-
Old Jul 20, 2002, 10:49 PM
Veteran

well said zack but on the OS topic i must say (flame me all you like) windows is as if not more secure than linux why?
because linux the source code is available to me you and everybody else which to me is 1 to windows, the main problem with windows OS is there serceptible (is that spelt right) to DOS attacks and crashing because they are very unstable unlike linuux which is very stable. 2nd point is most viruses and trojans are written for windows systems it isnt a poor OS even by security standards its the most used so your bound to have more breaches.
And not so lomg ago more exploits where found for the linux flavours than any windows OS seeing as its the most widely used OS and newbies dont use linux and newbies are the easiest to exploit i think that proves a point..
Just my 2 pence worth
peace out
By theway I love Linux and wish it was better than windows but unfortunately its not
Oh and demo if you wont let windows on any of your comps how come its win 2000 or linux? And you are using windows. Dont be a sheep think for yourself (ok maybe thats a bit out of order but it seems your being swayed by others opinions and not your own)

Last edited by uk_trader; Jul 21, 2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2002, 11:50 PM

no firewalls and no anti virus
never had a problem with virus, trojens etc
never been hacked etc
Old Jul 20, 2002, 11:52 PM
Veteran

thats what you think lmfao otherwise you have been very lucky.
Old Jul 21, 2002, 06:57 PM
Veteran

Zack - Hi You said "Anyways, I guess I really didn't give you a good answer, just a lot of boring drivel." On the contrary, it has been a useful answer and I may start playing with it, on a comp not connected to the net, for starters

UK_Trader - Hi Some good points but sadly your post has been spoilt by "Oh and demo if you wont let windows on any of your comps how come its win 2000 or linux? And you are using windows. Dont be a sheep think for yourself (ok maybe thats a bit out of order but it seems your being swayed by others opinions and not your own)" Yep I suppose you are out of order because, as clearly stated, I was refering to WinXP and not Windows as a whole. YES I use win2k on a frequent basis. In the past I have used most/all Windows OS's (including XP, early and experimental). From a security point of view I use Win2k rather than win98. As stated in an earlier post I don't feel confident with the security of WinXP but after reading Zack's post I may experiment with it again.

heatbball - Hi, hmm I aint sure if you are brave or suicidal

Last edited by Demo; Jul 21, 2002 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2002, 07:28 PM
Veteran

Ok m8 I appolagize for coments made it looks like I misread what you said and if even though it still was way out of order I was in one of them moods, anyway again sorry and hope theres no hard feelings.