CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 21, 2002, 08:07 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes. Ask the Hedgehog that climbed off the bog brush or the Darlek that climbed off the dustbin

Zack - Hi I wrote " it has been a useful answer and I may start playing with it," I meant XP honest Guv.

Last edited by Demo; Jul 21, 2002 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 07:24 AM

I run Norton AV 2002. Never had a problem with any viruses. I use to have Zone Alarm as my firewall, but Zack and a few others here made some suggestions on a couple of firewalls. I first went with Kerio Personal Firewall but soon switched to Sygate Pro. I wanted to have the IDS and all of the logs that Sygate provided. So far, nothing bad happened to me with a firewall running. I have The Cleaner and scan my PC everytime i download something before opening it. I just started using Spybot - Search & Destroy along side Ad-Aware. I like them a lot. I use Easy Cleaner and RegCleaner to get rid of the cache files of my IM program(AIM,ICQ). I really dont use either one that much but when I do, I wanna make sure there is no cache files laying around. Once I get more room where my PC is(gotta do some remodeling in the room) I am going to be networking some PC's and get a hardware firewall/router. I use to have WinXP on my PC but had some problems with running some old games so for now, I switched back to 98se. I wanna try linux again but I am waiting till I get my network setup and put it on a old pc or just build a cheap one and use it for learning Linux.

p.s. I also have win2k but have never used it at all. maybe i will try that instead of 98se.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:51 AM
Veteran

uk_trader,

I see your point about Windows not being open source and about mostly newbies using Windows. That is true. I do not want to turn this into an open-source vs closed-source argument. But really quick...

The fact that more newbies use Windows is true. However, as far as more virii being written for Windows - also true. I don't think that being open-source makes Linux inherently less secure. I mean, there was some trouple with the ipstack in Red Hat 6.something a while back. The open-source community had their own patch for it long before Red Hat. In fact, Red Hat used their patch to fix the issue. (I believe my details a re correct, but my memory is a bit foggy!)... Anyways, being open-source allows all users to look at it for holes, backdoors, etc. Now, the average user won't do that, but some will. . . IMHO, just being open-source does not in and of itself make Linux less secure. It is all in the end user and what he/she knows.

Allrighty then. Now back to our regularly scheduled program - [i]How Paranoid Are You??[/i] already in progress...

-Zack-
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:41 AM

Since posting and ready everyone's replies, I've now added:
Mailwasher, CyberScrub & Spybot.
I have an appointment at the Clinique du Paranoia later today - if they're not watching I might go!
Old Jul 27, 2002, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by heatbball [/i]
[B]no firewalls and no anti virus
never had a problem with virus, trojens etc
never been hacked etc [/B]
That`s like smoking fifty **** a day and saying you never got cancer..... you will mate, you will!!

Get yourself a firewall, like Norton or Zone Alarm and you`ll be surprised how many times a day/night you get probed.
Each probe is an attempt at access.
Some of them are software specific; i.e. a Deep-Throat probe is looking for the Deep-Throat Trojan active on your PC. If it`s not there it won`t get in. But they are pretty well played out now.
Even the Muppett hackers use Port Scanners, and whn I tell you that you`ve got about 65,000 ports on your PC just waiting for a visitor, maybe that will put it into some perspective.

No disrespect to yourself, but surfing without AV and Firewall is like racing your motorbike with no brakes and no crash hat..... one day..........
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:43 AM

Default zonealarm

yeah ive got to say! the latest zomealarm rules!