CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows NT
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:26 AM

Question Invalid System Disk- Error Message [; ; winNT4]

sponsored links

I have an Epox motherboard and I have just started getting an "invalid system disk" message when booting up. I have switched the starting sequence of the boot disks in the bios but still get the message. Has anyone seen this before? Has my motherboard bit the dust? Any help would be appreciated. My board: MVP 3G2 Award bios v. 3.51. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:31 AM

the boot partition is corrupt on your hard drive!!
format and start again
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Issue: Invalid / Non System Disk error.

Cause: This error can be caused by one or more of the following possibilities:

Floppy or CD that is not bootable is currently in the computer.
Hard disk drive does not have bootable files on it.
CMOS is not setup properly.
The hard disk drive is bad or not connected properly.

Solution:

Floppy or CD that is not bootable is currently in the computer: Verify that no floppy diskette or CD is currently in the computer. If a diskette or CD is in the computer that is not bootable your computer may attempt to boot from that diskette or CD causing this error message.

Hard disk drive does not have bootable files on it: It is possible that command.com or another bootable file may be missing from the hard disk drive. Follow the below steps to possible resolve your issue.

Boot from a bootable floppy diskette. At the A:\> type fdisk <press enter>
If you receive a message no fixed disk present read Hard Disk drive is bad or not connected properly. If you are able to get into fdisk, choose option 4 to display the partition information. In the partition information, if the System is listed as FAT16 or FAT32 then continue to step 5. If you have a message indicating no partitions defined, no information is on your hard disk drive and you will need to create a new partition. See our fdisk page for additional information.

If you see FAT16 or FAT32 in fdisk press the ESC key until back at the A:\>
Once at the A:\> type, sys c: <press enter> (only do this command if you are using the same operating system that this diskette was created on).
This should return a message 'System Transferred', if you receive bad command or file name and have verified you have type the command properly you will need to obtain a bootable diskette with the file sys.com on it. If system was transferred successfully, reboot the computer and issue should be resolved.

CMOS is not setup properly: Verify that your hard disk drive is setup properly in CMOS and if CMOS has bootable options verify that the hard disk drive is listed in the bootable options.

The hard disk drive is bad or not connected properly: If you have attempted all above suggestions and you are still encountering the same issues. Verify the connections are properly connected to the computer if the hard drive was recently installed or the computer was moved. Unfortunately if all connections are setup properly and all the above recommendations have been attempted it is likely that the hard disk drive is bad.

Regards

Last edited by jspr57; Jul 23, 2002 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 01:53 PM
Veteran

maxdod02 listen to jspr57 - format and start again should always be the last resort -
jspr57 has got the answer down to a tee (Not surprising a man of his knowledge and calibre) and you will also notice that jspr57 has laso left the "The hard disk drive is bad or not connected properly. " aspect/explanation as the last thing, if all of the above fails then format and start again, but go through what jspr57 said and in that order
Old Jul 23, 2002, 08:34 PM

I got it! Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 24, 2002, 05:33 AM
Veteran

maxdod02, what was it then?