CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:17 PM

Unhappy Strange Yamaha 4416s CD Burner Problem [; ; win98SE]

sponsored links

I have a Yamaha 4416s CD burner. Up until recently I've had no problems with it, but lately its been doing some strange things. Mainly, I can sucessfully burn a cd from an image, but when I put it back in the burner to read it, it just pops up Media Player and when I check the disc is just shows a single 1k Track01.cda file on there. I then take the disc out and put it in my Plextor 40x CD-ROM and it reads the disc just fine. This only happens with CDs I've burned recently, when I check cds I burned prior to this problem they read just fine, as do any cds I've bought. As far as I know I haven't made any changes that would cause this to happen and I haven't changed the software Im using to burn the cds with. Right now Im comparing burns done with CloneCD vs burns done with CDRWin and with Nero to see if it's a specific program it's having trouble with (right now I've really only done testing under CDRWin and all the cds have been burned from images off the harddrive). So far I've tried updating the firmware and I've tried burning various images, all with the same problem. Since my Plextor will read the discs it isn't a huge problem, but I can't come up with any reasons as to why it would do this in the first place. It really doesn't make any sence to me why I could burn a cd but not actually read it on the very same burner. Has anyone else run into this problem? If you need any hardware or OS information, please let me know.

Thanks,

schu
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:54 PM
suspended

Default Nero has the Answer

[url=***********.nero.com/en/helptool/index.htm]Nero Help Tool has the answer , under recognition problems
Quote:
A data CD appears in Explorer as an audio CD
Burned data CDs are always recognized as Audio CDs, i.e. for every written session, in Explorer they see one line respectively with TRACK<n>.CDA.

If you are using a Philips CDD3610 / HP 7200 / HP 7100 or a compatible device, then please change to Nero 4.0.3.4 or newer.
This problem occurs e.g. in the case of some PacketCD versions. Please deinstall PacketCD and make sure that all PacketCD drivers have been removed. Refer also to drivers of other CD burner programs
The file SCSI1HLP.VXD (Windows\System\IOSUBSYS directory) causes these phenomena in connection with other drivers. Please delete this file. [b]
If the option DMA is activated during the burning process, then it is possible that the burned CDs are seen as being audio CDs (e.g.: in the case of Yamaha CD burners).
Please deactivate the option DMA to be deactivated (see: DMA Option)[/b]

If you are using an Adaptec SCSI hostadapter : We are aware of some cases in which it was possible to resolve the problem by updating to the newest drivers of the SCSI Hostadapter das Problem beseitigt werden konnte. Höchstwahrscheinlich kann bei den Hostadapter. It is very likely that with the the problem can be solved by updating the drivers.
Disable DMA on the Yammy while burning, that should fix it.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 09:03 PM

Hmm.. checked for a DMA option but I didn't see one... I thought DMA only appeared for IDE burners... The 4416s is a SCSI burner. That being said, I will try to update my Adaptec drivers because I am using an Adaptec card. However both my Plextor and my Yamaha are hooked up to the same Adaptec card and the Plextor can read the cds while the Yamaha cannot... Neither drive has a DMA option because the are both SCSI devices... The strange thing is, I don't recall updating anything prior to this happening, it just sort of started, but I suppose something must have changed in there somewhere...

Thanks for the help..

-schu
Old Jan 28, 2002, 09:40 PM

Ok.. fixed it

As per the recommendation on Nero's site I renamed the SCSI1HLP.VXD file to SCSI1HLP.VX_ in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory... Apparently it causes trouble in a number of cases. That seems to have done the trick. I already had the latest Adaptec drivers so I didn't have to make any changes there...

Thanks for the help

-schu
Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:11 PM
suspended

Talking

It all makes sense when you know how!.