CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 05, 2002, 09:30 PM

Default 2 Problems: Compressing with DVDx and Virtual DUB

sponsored links

Problem 1: When I'm encoding my .vob files into a .avi file, the file size ends up larger than 700mb. I am using the Divx 4.12 Codec and the LAME Mp3 Codec to encode the video and the audio. I also use DVDx to encode the .vob files and a bitrate calculator to calculate the bitrate for the audio and video. When i put in the information into DVDx from the bitrate calculator, i put the information exactly like the calculator gave it to me. But the file sizes end up a lot larger than intended(usually over 50-100mb over).

*What can i do to fix this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem 2: When compressing the .avi, i use "Virtual Dub". I use the Divx 4.12 codec for video and the Radium Mp3 Codec for audio, and a bitrate calculator to get the needed info. But after entering the information and encoding the file sizes end up over 100mb then intended to be (700mb is the intended size) So what I do is, put the file size i want in the calculator in a small file size. For Example: Entering 580mb for the intended file size would equal 680mb and entering 680mb would equal 780mb. So I would have to try to re-compress more than once if i mess up. This is very inconvinient and frustrating.

*What Can I do to fix this?
Old Aug 06, 2002, 12:19 AM
Veteran

DivX 4.xx had shocking rate control. Also are you doing 1 or 2 passes, because 2 passes will give much better file size predictability.

DivX 5.xx has better rate control than 4.xx. 311alpha when encoded with something like Nandub using SBC is pretty acurate.

XviD is also pretty acurate.

Still 50-100mbs is a bit extream, Divx4.xx should not be off by that much. Perhaps the calculator is wrong. Are you using VBR audio?? If so did you take the overhead for that into account when encoding??

Perhaps try encoding with GordianKnot/Virtual Dub, as it tends to be pretty accurate and has a lot of nice features.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 01:23 PM

thanks celtic, ill try it. and im sorry for double posting.