CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 06, 2002, 05:09 AM
Veteran

Default "obtain ip address automatically" sucks!

sponsored links

I have a hub, lots of computers. When i let my computers find their own ip it never works. One would be on a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and one would be on 255.255.0.0 and one would be on 255.255.252.0 and so on...

It's really unreliable..
Maybe it's my hub. But still, letting windows find the IP addresses is very unreliable...

I specify the addresses.. I even specify gateways and DNS so that my computers can find the ICS through my gateway computer.

The only computer that actually finds everything on auto is my laptop.

Which brings me to another question.
HOW CAN YOU CHANGE IP ADDRESSES WITHOUT RESTARTING?
The renew button under winipcfg is a joke - never works.

I hate restarting everytime i want to change ip, or mask or dns address... It's absurd to think that restarting is that necessary.

Thanks
Old Aug 06, 2002, 05:30 AM
Veteran

Depend on what version of Windows you are using, Win2000 and XP does not need to restart after IP changed.

As to the mix up of subnet, I would guess its ICS rather than your router, as if you have a static IP, the subnet within should remine the same.
But as I do not use ICS, I am really just guessing on this one.

HTH
Old Aug 06, 2002, 08:15 AM
Veteran

on the router you should be able to specify a range of Ips to give to the computers.

e,g 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255

I have done this and its works fine, i didnt have to set anythin up on the client machines, i just selected auto on them all, and depending on what i switch on first, they get the lowest IP address.

And duffy is correct, on win2k and xp you dont need to restart.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 11:56 AM
Veteran

I certainly don't have the problems you describe and I'm certain alot of other people don't either...

Have you considered that maybe there is a problem with either your hub or with the way you configure your systems? All these problems would probable be solved if you just concentrate on fixing the real problem rather then the numerous side effects caused by it. Whining and claiming about things that don't work, when they do for almost everyone else, won't help you fix the real problem.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 12:20 PM

I can't see it being the hub, more like dhcp's not configured properly and some machines ain't patched in correctly (cos if they were they wouldn't get different subnets)

Back to basics m8 - start again.

It gonna be hard to sort this one out with text talk !!!