CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 06, 2002, 03:10 PM

Default Can't read CD in RW drive [Dell; 4100; winXP]

sponsored links

I backed up the data files from my Windows ME systems to a CD and did a clean install of XP on 2 PC's. I was able to read the backup files and copied them successfully into the My Documents folders of the XP systems. At the present time, I can read the CD's only on the regular CD drive, not the RW and R drives (the Dell has 2 drives.)

When I try to read the drives, the system tells me that the CD's are blank. Properties on the RW drive, for example, will display space as zero Used, 100 MB Free and 100 MB Capacity (where the approximately 600 MB balance is actually my data files.)

There is no problem when I load a CD into these drives from files that I copied directly from CD to CD, such as a copy of Office XP. I had installed a TDK drive on the Dell and used ahead Nero burning software. The HP CD-Writer 8100 was used on the Hewlett Packard machine.

This has me puzzled. I had to be able to read these files earlier because I was able to copy the CD data files to the newly formatted C: drives.

(This is my first post and I hope that I didn't submit it twice>)