CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:54 AM

sponsored links

I just wanted to try out Win Xp Pro when I got my new machine but I had the intent of installing windows 2000 later on it but once you start using Windows Xp it really gets you hooked and it looks like I'm staying with Win Xp Pro. I never have any major problems, much more stable than win 98 and of course the eye candy doesn't hurt.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 02:03 AM

My opinions from pretty good experience with these:

[b]WinME:[/b] Don't bother, stay well clear, it's not worth the price of the disk it comes on

[b]Win98:[/b] I used this for a long while and eventually got used to the resets every few hours and reinstalls every month or two and general instability. Great for compatibility of progs & games though.

[b]Win2000:[/b] Very stable but not as compatible as 98 with games. This was my choice between 98 and 2000 until I got XP....

[b]WindowsXP:[/b] I was as sceptical as the next man when this came out but I have to say its well worth the money. If you like all the nice gfx then fair enough but I use the standard theme and have never got into all the pretty icons and everything. The big point is the stability - it's based on the Win2000 kernal and builds on its stability. My machine has sometimes gone weeks and weeks without a reboot and it still performed as well as though I'd just turned it on. Also, once you've installed it, its unlikely that you'll need to reinstall due to random errors like Windows 98 has a habit of doing.

The minor niggle is the compatibility but its catching up fast with new driver releases and things like that. There is a compatibility checker that can be run before installing to tell you if everything is fine. Even if not, you may need to use a couple of 'unsigned' drivers but I've been doing that with no probs.

Overall, I'd definitely say XP
Old Aug 10, 2002, 04:40 AM
Veteran

Windows XP is [b]ALOT[/b] more stable, and supports loads of Drivers!

I suggest you put XP on! If you and\or your machine don't like it, go back to 98!

Hope you find what want!
Old Aug 10, 2002, 04:58 AM
suspended

The best O/S is................................................ ....................

The one *you* get on with and like. As several members sugested, why not format & partition your HD and dual-boot 9X & XP? Best of both worlds then, if something goes wrong on one O/S you always have the other to fall back on.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 06:12 AM

98/95 are good but a bit past it...
Me is completely rubbish..
XP is ok, and looks pretty too...

I dunno, XP seems the best, but doesn't run everything
Old Aug 10, 2002, 06:21 AM

XP for me found winme buggy as hell put XP on m8
Closed Thread