CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 08, 2002, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Default Beating the webmaster...

sponsored links

Heres my problem...

I mainly surf the web at work as we have a T3 leased line. But our network "surfing" is restricted by a programme called X-Stop. This basically is a database of key words/web sites, which stops you viewing ****agraphic or sensitive material.
Example if the url or search contained 'crack' then I would not be able to view the page.
From what I have gathered - secured web pages can't be blocked.

I found a website called safeweb - which allows encripted browsing - but they eventually found this out, and blocked it.

Does anyone know of another site like this which allows encripted browsing - or even hides the url of the page I am viewing from the network administrator.

Cheers
Old Jan 08, 2002, 11:55 PM
Veteran

Use a socks proxy or even try using netscape I think its unsuported by the filter.
Old Jan 09, 2002, 05:38 AM
Veteran

Do you have any more information m8?
Old Jan 09, 2002, 07:57 AM
Veteran

The problem you are going to have is down to your Network Administrator. The one in our work is very security conscious and has ended up installing a virus scanner, which scans every single web page before I view it on my screen.

He's done this because some viruses can run just by viewing web pages and now (just for information) there is a new virus that can run through Shockwave .swf plug-in files.

Unfortunately, each page is logged as it is scanned and he is able to see which pages may cause a problem (if they are encrypted they can't be scanned).

Depending on how much control your Admin wants, will depend on how often they look at the logs! If they have the same system as us then then they are happy to let us browse any pages (except the ones that have words such, which are classed as obscene etc.).

In a nutshell your Admin CAN view the url of each page that you visit. If they view it and find it is encrypted then I'm sure that they'll block it - like they have.

It's a two-edged sword really.
Old Jan 09, 2002, 08:32 AM
Veteran

Socks is a networking proxy protocol that enables hosts on one side of a Scks server to gain full access to hosts on the other side of the Socks server without requiring direct IP-reachability. Socks is often used as a network firewall, redirecting connection requests from hosts on opposite sides of a Socks server. The Socks server authenticates and authorizes requests, establishes a proxy connection, and relays data between hosts.

you can download socks 5 here
ftp://ftp.nec.com/pub/socks/

theres a tutorial on proxies here
********blacksun.box.sk/tutorials/format.php3?file=proxy.html
The socks proxy is mentioned.

If you need more info I suggest searching for socks proxy tutorials on google
Old Jan 16, 2002, 04:58 AM
Veteran

go to the x-stop web site, and ask that to unblock the site,
joke ^^.
I know your problem m8, we had the same problem in our college. All i did was find some legit web sites which was blocked, made a list, and now it has been taken off. (for now)