CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 11, 2002, 01:27 AM

Talking How to create a DVD with multiple XBOX games loaded onto it

sponsored links

Okay Dingalings – I successfully backed up 4 XBOX games onto a single DVD. These games were not downloaded from the net (though I don’t see why that wouldn’t work either). They were backed up directly to my PC from an original via FTP from my modded enigma xbox with EVO-X loaded onto the xbox hard drive. I’m not going to go to in-depth on this procedure, as it’s been explained elsewhere on this forum.

Requirements:
A modded xbox with EVO-X loaded right onto the hard drive.

Steps:

1) Add this line to the menu.ini file on the xbox in the Launch Menu under games:
a. item "DVD Games","d:\default.xbe"
If you’ve been paying attention to this group at all, this procedure was used to enable the booting of some stubborn backed-up games that wouldn’t load when you hit the reboot command from EVO-X. It does work! It is perfectly normal after you make this change and you restart the xbox for this to appear in red and be inaccessible. That’s because when the xbox first starts up, EVO-X looks to see if d:\default.xbe exists. If there’s nothing in the DVD drive (or if d:\default.xbe does not exist) when you power up the xbox, well this item is going to be disabled dummy! LOL. Leave the DVD in the drive, and restart your xbox. Boom – you can access it. Good boy.
2) Make a directory on your PC for all your xbox backups. Make individual subdirectories for each game you intent on backing up. Copy the games via FTP from the xbox to the PC (and into the subdirectory you made).
a. i.e. my subdirectories for this little experiment included:
Cell
NHL
SSX
Tetris
3) Copy the evo-x program files to the directory you made for all your xbox games. YES! You are creating a second evo-x program – this one for the DVD!
4) Modify the menu.ini file on the PC’s copy of evo-x (NOT THE XBOX) to point to all the default.xbe files for the games you copied over:
a. i.e. in my experiment, I modified it to look like this:
Item "Cell Damage","d:\cell\default.xbe"
Item "NHL 2002","d:\nhl\default.xbe"
Item "Tetris Worlds","d:\tetris\default.xbe"
Item "SSX Tricky","d:\ssx\default.xbe"
Of course – it should go without saying that a DVD holds about 4.7GB, so you’re going to have to pick and choose your backups as I did to hold the max amount on 1 DVD.
5) Now that you have everything neat and nice in one directory, burn a DVD with all this stuff. I use RecordNowMax, and pretty much do a straight data copy as though I was making a disc for the PC. Nothing special. I use DVD+R or DVD+RW discs (though DVD-R and DVD-RW will work also if you have those sorts of burners).
6) Start the Xbox, load the DVD you made, restart it and select the DVD Games menu item you selected as described in step 1.
7) Re-read everything if you have problems. Post a message here and I’ll try to help anyone out.
8) If you found this info useful in any way, shape, or form, I require that you create a special shrine for me, unto which you shall sacrifice great amounts of AOL discs.

References:

The contents of the menu.ini file on my XBOX

#tDoBIOS=1,
#tDoFlashBIOS=2,
#tDoDash=3,
#tDoLaunchMenu=4,
#tDoReboot=5,
#tDoNetwork=6,
#tDoHarddisk=7,
#tDoLaunch=8,

Section "Root"
{

Item "MS Dashboard","c:\xboxdash_old.xbe"
Item "Reboot",@5

Section "System Utils"
{
Item "Network",@6
Item "Harddisk",@7
Item "Flash BIOS",@1

}

Section "Launch Menu"
{
Section "Games"
{
Item "Nintendo","e:\nes\default.xbe"
Item "MAME","e:\mame\default.xbe"
itEM "Sega Master System","e:\sms\default.xbe"
item "Atari 2600","e:\2600\default.xbe"
item "Super Nintendo","e:\xsnes9x\default.xbe"
item "Sega Genesis","e:\dgen\default.xbe"
item "DVD Games","d:\default.xbe"
item "Turobographix 16","e:\t16\default.xbe"
AutoAddItem "e:\games\"
AutoAddItem "f:\games\"

}

Section "Apps"
{
Item "Media Player","e:\xbplayer\default.xbe"
AutoAddItem "e:\apps\"
AutoAddItem "f:\apps\"
}
}
}

The contents of the directory I made on the PC before backing it up via RecordNowMax onto a DVD. Explanation of each item is in parenthesis:

Cell (Directory – a straight backup of Cell Damage made to this directory via FTP)
NHL (Directory – a straight backup of Cell Damage made to this directory via FTP)
SSX (Directory – a straight backup of Cell Damage made to this directory via FTP)
Tetris (Directory – a straight backup of Cell Damage made to this directory via FTP)
Default.xbe (The evo-x program)
Menu.ini (The evo-x menu.ini file you need to modify)

The contents of the menu.ini file in the directory I made on the PC:

#tDoBIOS=1,
#tDoFlashBIOS=2,
#tDoDash=3,
#tDoLaunchMenu=4,
#tDoReboot=5,
#tDoNetwork=6,
#tDoHarddisk=7,
#tDoLaunch=8,

Section "Root"
{

Item "MS Dashboard","c:\xboxdash_old.xbe"
Item "Reboot",@5

Section "System Utils"
{
Item "Network",@6
Item "Harddisk",@7
Item "Flash BIOS",@1

}

Section "Launch Menu"
{
Section "Games"
{
Item "Cell Damage","d:\cell\default.xbe"
Item "NHL 2002","d:\nhl\default.xbe"
Item "Tetris Worlds","d:\tetris\default.xbe"
Item "SSX Tricky","d:\ssx\default.xbe"
AutoAddItem "e:\games\"
AutoAddItem "f:\games\"

}

Section "Apps"
{
AutoAddItem "e:\apps\"
AutoAddItem "f:\apps\"
}
}
}
Old Aug 11, 2002, 02:47 AM

Whew........
I'm dizzy now.............
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:34 AM

Why not just build the menu thing with one of the utilitys off the net and burn as a data disc to dvd-r?

Or am I missing something?
Old Aug 11, 2002, 11:03 AM
Veteran

Nice tutorial therer
Old Aug 11, 2002, 06:37 PM

One thing I noticed - beware the media you used. I used a nice Memorex DVD+R disc for the test, and when I tried to burn the same thing onto an el-cheapo generic dvd+r disc.... poof - got nothing. Dunno if changing the settings to close media & write once would have worked.

Give me an example of the utility thing DaMasha - I wanna see where you're heading with that one. This was my solution - but if you got a better one, let me know!
Old Aug 11, 2002, 07:29 PM

try game selector for example....much easier. There is a hacked version that allows more than 4 games. Works great. I have made 3 comps already. Also allows subdirs and has a cool menu system and has a music track for the menu. Not to say that you solution is a workable one

Cheers,

HaZ