CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:30 PM

Default controller card

sponsored links

controller card was developed by ibm in 1985 to solve comapatability issues. it is located on the bottom of every hard drive. is there a way to update the controller card like firmware or something. i contacted western digital about this one. hope this isnt a dumb question.

thanks
freemp3antiriaa
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:01 PM

So where are you now on this? The reason I suggested getting another controller card (aka two new IDE channels) was dropping the congestion on your channels. You mention the computer is all jumpy, well, that's what happens when a single IDE cable is overwhelmed.

Depending on what you want, you could just put both hard drives on the same channel, master and slave. It would make pure burning on the fly next to impossible at anything over 4x. Or you could just add another controller card and give all four devices full access to your system bus.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:45 PM

Default controller card

this controller card is a new thing to me. i never heard of a controller card untill u had mentioned it. thanks for the advise by the way. im still not understanding how one works. i have 2 hard drives and 2 cd roms as mentioned above. it seems u understand this. so how do i add an additional controller card. does it plug into the ide slot on the mother board and brach out to each aditional drive or something. or does it use a pci slot. what contoller card do u suggest. why didnt my old cd roms require a contoller card. why do my new drive require one. im going to go do some research on the subject. sorry for my ignorance. im really not sure what im going to do. but im definetly going to look into the controller card thing right now.

freemp3boycottriaa
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:14 AM

A controller card plugs into the PCI slot (most likely your computer uses them, unless it is very old). When you have two devices on one ribbon cable or "channel", it slows down communication. While it isn't necessary to have each drive on a separate channel, it is very nice. I've had decent luck with Promise Tx2 controllers.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:46 PM

Default maxtor ultra ata/133 pci adpter card

i installed my two new cd roms on my new adapter card or guess contoller card. when i first boot up it says that it is a tx2 made by promise. it comes up with a error that says that it doesnt load the bios because there are no drives attached. is this because i have attached the cd roms to it and not the hard drives. also its missburning cds now. not everytime but a few. and its burning them really really slow. no experience with this type of thing suggestions would be helpfull.

thanks
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:32 PM

illtbagu3,
Hi I hope I can help you,let us start over
ok it's good that your Promise PCI card is seen on the BOOT up,but you can only use it for HDD's
set your main HDD (the one with your OS) as master on IDE # 1 on the Promise card , set your other HDD as Master on IDE #2 on the Promise Card
then set your DVD as master on IDE # 1 on the Mother board
and your CDRW as master on IDE #2 on the Mother board

this is how I have my RIG and it is the best set up I find