CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 19, 2002, 09:20 AM

Exclamation **Wireless Networking and Broadband - Please Help!**

sponsored links

Right, I want to set up a wireless network so I can share the Broadband connection between my PC and my laptop. Basically, I just need to know what is required. I know I need the base unit/transmittor and a card to fit in the laptop. Will the main base unit just connect directly to the PC or do I have to buy an adapter for that? Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2002, 09:30 AM
Veteran

The wireless router will not fit into your PC, it will be connected to your broadband modem. Another wireless card will need to be installed in your PC.

Although I'm not an expert in the new wireless technologies, I did have the 1st generation 1mbps ones. And with those, all you needed was a wireless card in each of my PC's then I shared my connection with software. So you might not need to buy a router. Much like how people don't need a router to share the internet with normal ethernet networking.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 01:26 PM

The best way is to get something like the Linksys wireless Cable/DSL router. You'd buy the router, and two wireless receivers. I don't recommend it that much, because if you want the fastest speeds possible, use a normal router and CAT5 cable.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 01:05 PM
Veteran

gambit_360 your right there d00d

If you want to share your internet connection with your labtop, you will need 2 wireless cards and a pcmcia Interface Card for you pc,
The router is not needed in the setup you mentioned,

I work with wireless technology every day and can honestly say its not very stable at the moment
***********.tribecaexpress.com/Cisco_aironet_350.htme wireless network

The network is very slow at 2mb and 4mb a sec,
I recomend buying the 11mps cards but even these have there problems at certain ranges
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:15 PM
Veteran

i have a linksys wireless router

one computer is connected directly to it via cat5 wire

another is accros the house with a wireless usb connector and my laptop has a wireless pc card

it is 11mpbs and connects pretty much in most of the house and is fast
Old Aug 24, 2002, 03:46 AM

ANyone got any reccommendations on the best router/adsl modem to use in combination?

I have a similar need.

Intend to connect a wireless router to the primary PC with a cat5 rj45 cable and the other pc using a wireless network card. The adsl modem then connects into the primary pc.... Is this correct?

Regards