CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 19, 2002, 01:15 PM

Default How to put 2 films on 1 DVD and lose hardly any quality and keep 5.1

sponsored links

Iíve been experimenting recently with putting multiple films on one dvd and using the guides on the internet and a little common sense Iíve come up with a decent method of putting 2 retail dvdson one and lose hardly any quality whilst keeping the 5.1 sound.

Programs needed:
Smartripper
DVD2AVI
TMPGEnc
Spruce Up
Bitrate Calculator

All these are either available free or you can download a free demo

Step 1: Ripping
Open up Smartripper and make sure the rip method selected is Movie. It should now automatically select the main movie on the dvd (You can tell because it shows the length of the selected clip) Next click on the Stream Processing tab and make sure that only the video and audio file that you want are selected. The video file is usually top of the list and followed by the audio streams. Select the 6-channel stream. Next for the two selected streams change the option on the right from Direct Stream Copy to Demux to Extra File. Do this for both the audio and video streams. Click on Start and about 15 minutes later youíll have a load of files ripped to the hard drive. I delete all of them apart from the .m2v file and the .ac3 file. I usually rename these to something simple like film.m2v.

Step 2: DVD2AVI
Open up DVD2AVI and open up your film.m2v file. Click on the Ok box on the next screen. Then go to File, Save Project. Type in a filename and then click Save. A .d2v file will now be made (this takes about 5 minutes on my computer)

Step 3: TMPGEnc
Open up tmpgenc and get out of the project wizard screen. Click on File, New Project. On Stream Type select Video Only and click on Setting.

Under the Video Tab I use these settings:
Stream type: MPEG 2 Video
Size: For Pal 720 x 576. For NTSC 720 x 480
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (I use this no matter what the source is)
Frame Rate: 25fps for PAL, 29.97fps for NTSC
Rate Control Mode: I use Constant Bitrate, if youíve got more time then its better to
Use 2 Pass Variable Bitrate.
Bitrate: I ignore this option for now, Iíll deal with it later as most films youíll use a
Different setting.
Profile & Level: MP@ML
Video Format: Pal for Pal video, NTSC for NTSC video
Encode Mode: Interlace
YUV Format: 4:2:0
DC Component Precision: 10 bits
Motion Search Precision: High Quality (slow)

Under the Advanced Tab
I ignore all settings apart from the video arrange method, which I select Full Screen (keep aspect ratio) I donít have any of the boxes ticked.

Under the GOP Structure Tab
No of I Pictures in a GOP: 3 I got these settings by encoding a high motion
No of P Pictures in a GOP: 3 part of a film, experimenting with settings and
No of B Pictures in a GOP: 0 seeing which gave me best quality

Output interval of sequence header: 1
Max no of frames in a GOP: 15 for Pal, 18 for NTSC.

Then make sure the detect scene change box is ticked

Under the Quantize matrix tab
Select MPEG standard from the pull down box.

Tick the box for Output YUV data as basic YcbCr not CCIR601

Click on OK, then Save and type in a filename for the template, something like Pal-dvd or NTSC-dvd.

Click on File, Project Wizard and select your new template, then click next.
Open up your .d2v file you created earlier and tmpgenc will now open it. I sometimes get an error but if I try again it will open it the 2nd time round.
Click on next, and then next again.

Now comes the part where you select the bitrate for the video file youíre creating.
There are 2 ways you can do this:

1) Make it so that each movie youíre making comes to 2100mb, quality will decrease the longer the film is.
2) Both movies same bitrate.

Method 1:
Look at the .ac3 file you created when ripping and get the file size of it. Its usually about 300mb. Now take this number away from 2100 and whatever your answer is, type it into the estimated file size in tmpg. Tmpg will automatically select your average bitrate for you.

Method 2:
Here you need to know the combined length of both films. Open up the bitrate calculator, select the dvd option, and audio bitrate of 384. Type in the length of the movies and youíll get an average bitrate. Type this into the average video bitrate box in tmpg.

I usually use 2600-2700 as my bitrate
Click on next, type in a filename for the video file youíre about to create then click on OK. Tmpg will now create your video file. With the settings I use and on an athlon xp1800 it takes about 3 hours per film.

When youíve done this, rename the final m2v file and the ac3 file the same. Do this for both films.

Step 4: Authoring
I author in spruce up. Its relatively easy and theres loads of guides around on how to do this.

Feedback and any other helpful information to improve this guide is welcome. Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:07 PM

720x576 at 2600 kbps is a very BIG lose in quality, mate. Almost everything under 3,5 mbps@720x576 is poor quality.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 02:49 AM
Veteran

If you are encoding at a lower bitrate then I would say definatly go for VBR. also I would use CCE and not TMPGEnc.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 01:08 PM

Seriously, ive done this method and most of the time you cant tell the difference between the retail dvd and the new one (on a tv that is). Encode a short clip to see for yourself. I agree that vbr is the way to go but with tmpg it takes too long. Im still experimenting with cce (having a bit of trouble too)
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:29 AM

I did mpeg2 D1 at 2500 kbps@VBR with CCE (4 passes) and TMPGEnc, and of course I can tell the difference on a TV. 2500 kbps is clearly not enough at 720x576.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 07:41 PM

best bet is go to dooms site and download DVD2SVCD package.
if you set it up right it does a great job at squeezing down the size of a dvd
and you can keep AC3 audio too.
dont seem to notice a difference in quality on most films , and thats on me 40" rear projection tv.