CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Angry help needed finding trojan

sponsored links

i had download a file of kazza and i forget to scan it and click to install it NAV flashed up saying then there is a trojan horse in C:/temp/internet.....
twice so i scaned the C drive with NAV again but it didnt find anything so i opened up The Cleaner (is normaly set to run at startup but wasnt on this time) so scanned all drives with The Cleaner V3.2 still didnt find anything (15min scan time) so i downlaoded V3.5 of website rescanned all drives (55min scan time) still no Trojan found but this time it said that there was a problem scanning a file , the report said

File C:/pagefile.sys

could not be accessed could be that Windows has locked the file or its a swap file , or NAV is using it so disable it then rescan.

so done rescan still no trojan and still same problem scanning pagefile.sys .

how can i locate the trojan and get rid of it ?
i am currently using a linksys router with 3 computers connected to the net 2 of which for LAN games and also have Norton Security on at highest security, aswell so how safe would it be for to access and play LAN games withe the infected PC.

Thanks

Peter
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:17 AM

are you using Kazaa or Kazaa Lite? I would d/l Lite if you're not using t currently.
It's happened to me many times. Popups that come from kazaa(not lite) sometimes contain script viruses, which should detected by your virus scanner. From what it sounds like it was a script virus because it was in your temporary internet files folder. If you cleared your history or temporary internet files then the virus wouldn't be detected, so either you have IE auto. configured to delete temp internet files when you close the browser or you ran a disk cleanup and the virus got deleted. It's safe to assume you probably deleted it with disk cleanup or Norton could of possibly quarantined. Regarding your network, Viruses can be spread through local networks, Meaning if you download a virus on one of your computers it can infect your networked computer. To keep safe I'd keep an AV on each computer as well as a firewall.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:33 AM
Veteran

i use kazza lite and it was the file that i d/l that contained the trojan NAV said that the file cound not be repaired and was put into the C drive i have not deleted any temp files and windows is only set up to delete temp file every 20 days and that didnt happen yestarday, infact i havnt deleted any files at all all i had done since finding the trojan was to unistall and reinstall The Cleaner to update version.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:37 PM
Veteran

ok i click on the infected file again to see where the exact ifected file was and NAV said

Object name: C:\docume~1\peter\locals~1\temp\mth147...\mth148.t mp
Virus Name: Trojan horse
Action taken: Unable to repair this file

and the second warning said

Object name: C:\docume~1\peter\locals~1\temp\mth147...\mth148.t mp
Virus Name: Trojan horse
Action taken: Access to this file was denied

by NAV saying that access to the file was denied could this mean that the trojan is not on the pc as i tried looking for that folder in which its ment to be but i cant even find it an noscan seems to find it aswell

Peter
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:58 PM

ok, have you ran the file?, if you have not yet actually ran the file delete it completly and that should be that, but, if you have ran it, there are two things you can do:

1..) Find out what Trojan it is, I.E,, Sub 7 etc.., and then in google just type removing Sub 7 (or whatever trojan you find it to be) and then it should give you some registry entrys for you to delete,, BEFORE you delete the registry make a backup copy, to do this copy two files form the windows directory, User.dat and system.dat. make sure you copy these two files onto a floppy disc before you begin, then just click on start and then run and the type regedit and follow the path you find on the internet.

2..) The only other way would be to either find a piece of software on the internet that will remove any trojan or use an Industry Stength AV i.e Dr Solomons that might get rid of it.

Also scan your entire network form your server.

Also, if you have not had any strange things happening, like your cd door opening your machine turning off, you may not have a trojan but i clever virus, but its not worth taking the risk, because you may be haveing passwords and files stolen from your computer as we speak.

Hope this has been of help to you,,

Jon