CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 05, 2002, 05:33 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Ahhh so you may be one step closer to solving the issue. Good....
As for the RAM check in POST, Post does not check each individual address on each stick. Unlike the old Parity check on RAM, the newer RAM checks just run across the stick, and if it recieves a signal in return, it will pass the stick. This does not mean that the stick is actually 100%, just that connectivity is available. Now, when a program like Nero attempts to access a specific address on the stick, if that block is beginning to fail, this will not effect the rest of the stick, or the other programs running. Just the one trying to use that particular address. I also believe that Windows XP, inherantly will detect that an address is bad on a RAM stick, just as it would on a bad address on a hard drive when its using Virtual memory. But, just as with Virtual Memory, the OS will not necessarily report the bad address or sector, but will log not to use that address. I know this can be seen in Win2k, in event logs and error messages, but i dont know if XP reports it properly.
One other thing i saw you post was that, you said you were told to reseat because of creeping, and yes, while this mayhap occur on occasion, the symptoms of creeping are a bit different than this. Your problems are program specific, whereas, creeping would effect the entire system, and often the POST as well. I only point this out, because I dont want you to think maybe the RAM slot isnt seating the stick properly. That doesnt seem to be the symptoms of your errors. You MAY want to try to visually inspect the RAM slots for any small burn marks, or anything unusual, but i really dont believe this is the case, because you seated 1, and no POST, and you seated 2, and boot was normal. The stick is definately bad.
No CDR's around? You have a CDRW available maybe? Any burn process will let you know what the issue is.
Good luck, and hopefully this is all the problem is.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Default It was the RAM...

IT WAS THE RAM MODULE!

It was definitely the RAM that was causing all my problems. Iíve now removed the offending module and confined it to the bin (not the recycle bin).

Iíve just installed Nero 5596 and burnt off three CDs without any trouble at all. All files verified. Iíve also installed Micro$oft Train Simulator without any problems or Ďlock-upsí. Itís the first time Iíve managed to install it.

Who would have thought it was the RAM? Itís taken me three weeks to solve this one with the help of thousands (I mean that!).

Itís been an adventure and could have made a good detective novel.

As Sherlock Holmes once said, [B][I]ďWhen you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the faultĒ.[/I][/B]

The End.

Thanks to each and everyone who has helped me on this quest.

Cheers,

Jessica
Old Sep 05, 2002, 11:47 PM
Veteran

Phenomenal... so glad youve gotten the problem solved. If ive learned nothing else in 25 years of working with these machines... its always the simplest thing.
Old Sep 06, 2002, 01:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by HartBreaker [/i]
[B]To Landlocked Surfer,

Iíve just read through the Ghost 2001 manual. I canít see anything relating to creating a boot disk with Promise Ultra 100 drivers on. Am I using the right version of Ghost? Itís the only one I have.

Under the section ĎUsing Ghost Boot Wizard to create boot disksí all I can find is the following topics:-

Standard boot disks with the option of LPT and USB support
Boot disks with network support
Boot disks with CD-ROM support
Creating a multicard template
Adding network drivers to the Ghost Boot Wizard

Then thereís:-

Local devices
To use Norton Ghost with a SCSI tape device, the tape device needs to have an Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI) driver for DOS installed. The driver is installed in the config.sys file as shown in the example below:
device=C:\scsitape\aspi4dos.sys
Refer to the documentation included with the SCSI tape device for further details.

I donít have a config.sys file on my computer. I donít think Windows ME needs one.

If you know of a way to do this, please let me know. Iím not even sure I know what/where the drivers are and I donít think theyíll fit onto floppy disks.

Get back to me

Jessica [/B]
sorry for the confusion, and I am glad you solved your hangup problem!!!
all I meant was to try the boot disk you have, and when ghost loads, check to see if it 'see's' your drive on promise controller... I think it should without any other drivers...I could be wrong though, and it may not matter to you anyway as your hangup problem is solved and you can put your drives on any controller you want
Old Sep 06, 2002, 11:51 AM
Veteran

To Landlocked Surfer,

No, my drives attached to the Promise controller are not available to me under DOS. I created a ĎGhost Boot Diskí and booted from that. The only drives available to me were the two drives (CDROM and CDRW) attached to the VIA controller.

Looks like Iíll just have to be careful or alter my drivers around again. For now, I think Iíll leave it as it is. Maybe at a later date Iíll get someone to alter it for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Jessica
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:08 AM

And i thought i had problems,sheesh mine would have fixed fixed with a big hammer,well done all