CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 30, 2002, 11:57 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

I would, as a first guess, your ATA-100 device driver, because I first noticed my own 'hanging' problem after I installed a fresh copy of Win2000, and the device driver for the UDMA-100 IDE card didnt go in, when accessing files on any devices attached to the add-on-UDMA card, I can feel the 'lagging', and I havent been able to make a single data DVD out of that, hangs and wasted almost 5 or 6 DVD-Rs before I decided to re-install it again, but this time I took precaution to make sure the device driver went in correctly first before anything else, and as I said, been working fine since.

My Win2000 station still hangs, at random from time to time, like once every few days, but this is like an ongoing problem with the cheap and cheerful K7VZA board, just got some Soltek boards in today, as soon as I get time, I will build a new unit out of that and seen if this will totally eliminate the hanging problem, but at least now I know the fault is not with Nero as it hangs at outside Nero.

BTW, What frying pan are you using ? Pan98/PanME/Pan2000 or Pot-XP ?
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:06 PM

i think you have a heat problem,tie all the cables out of theway as much as possible to get good airflow and change the settings for the fan.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:12 PM
suspended

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jasev [/i]
[B]i think you have a heat problem,tie all the cables out of theway as much as possible to get good airflow and change the settings for the fan. [/B]
Nope, can't be a heat problem IMHO as it's fine on re-boot and not doing this on any other prog. It's definately some sort of clash somewhere, HartBreaker, are you using Me still or have you moved onto XP now?

I'm having similar problems myself with XP and NTI CD Maker Pro, works fine with any other CDRW software. If on XP have you disabled the Imapi burning software in XP?
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the replies guys.

Iíve just uninstalled and re-installed Nero. I was hoping that would solve all my problems. Needless to say, it didnít! I just did a test burn and once again it all locked up on me. The CPU temp at the time was 57. I re-booted straight away. The temp was still 56 when I got back into Windows. Everything seems to by running OK.

If it is my Promise ATA100 drivers, how do I get around it? When I recover from a ĎGhostí backup, it one of the first things the computer asks for. I could try disabling the CDROM drive attached to the promise controller in the BIOS. Then hopefully, Windows wonít detect any device attached and wonít ask me for the drivers.

What do you guys think?

To Lazza Ė
No, Iím still running Windows ME. If you remember I had too many problems trying to install Windows XP. I donít what difference it makes what OS Iím using. I always have to install the ATA100 drivers. If the drivers are causing the trouble, Iím no better of running XP.

What do you think?

Get back to me as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the help..
Old Aug 30, 2002, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Iíve just been told that thereís a little knob inside my case that controls the speed of the fan over the heatsink. Who is this guy and whatís he doing inside my computer?

Any suggestions?

Jessica
Old Aug 30, 2002, 01:03 PM
suspended

No, don't install XP HB...your troubles will remain IMO.

I think my problem is the ATA100 drivers, I've even tried the RAID 133 drivers on my RAID controller. I only run my HD from a RAID channel and everything else from the main 2 IDE channels.

It is best not to run any CD/DVD devices on the RAID channels anyway.

Maybe duffy or someone else has some more ideas for you.