CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:30 PM

Question ? on 2 pc's i have and Networking

sponsored links

i have been learning to use linux mandrake for a month now and i got the basics of the OS down. The PC that linux is on is an old 400mhz pentium 2 Compaq Deskpro EN. I have a new PC running win2k. I have winxp pro, win2k, win98se, win NT 4.0, linux mandrake 8.0. i get tired of switching back and forth between PC's in my room moving all the wires and such. I was wondering if i should network the 2 pc's together. Also, if i should switch the OS of the Compaq to any of the other ones that i have. The Compaq has a 30gig 5400rpm HD and 256mb of ram. I was thinking of making it a server and have it connect to the internet through my modem and using this pc as a client pc going through the server. Any other ideas on what to do please tell me. I am open to any ideas. I have 1 crossover cable and 1 straight CAT 5 cable. the network cards that i have all came from the old compaqs. r they any good? thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 08:01 AM

sounds like a network would be a good idea, if it is just two pc's then the cross over cable and the network cards you have will be fine, otherwise you will need a hub/switch.

If you want to use it as a server, you could go for any microsoft OS and put router software on it, you could do the same thing through the copy of linux already on there if you have the time and patience.

Otherwise, look at www.e-smith.org they do a mini linux distribution which is already set up for router, file sharing, web, ftp servers, and it supports dial up, adsl etc etc.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 11:05 AM

what kind of router software is there? if i set it up as a server, is there a way for me to hide my other pc from the internet? like hiding my IP address from boh pc's? i decided to go with win2k. i have another pc that i can throw linux on and learn it some more. im still not comfortable with it yet. thanks for the reply.