CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 30, 2002, 02:17 AM

Default please help me immediately, i tried to reformat my laptop and i broke it!!!

sponsored links

please someone help me out, i have to swap my floppy and my cdrom drive and i cant get it to let me reinstall windows 98se???? i have to have this for school and i am not able to use it right now, someone please help me please.....im in great trouble if i cant fix it!!!
Old Aug 30, 2002, 04:40 AM

do you an external cable for the floppy drive ?
most dell's can have the cdrom in the bay and the floppy plugged in the back.
cheers
Old Aug 30, 2002, 09:30 AM

Try This:-
1. Boot from windows 98 boot disk. Copy System files (use SYS) and CD ROM drivers to C: (make sure you add the drivers to config.sys and autoexec.bat)
2. Swap your floppy drive to the CDROM drive.
3. Restart the Computer
4. If all goes well, your computer should boot into dos from the hard disk and should recognise the CDROM.
5. Type d:\setup.

(I hope this helps, I haven't tried it but it should work)
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:08 PM

put the windows disk in the cd drive and in the bios setup change the boot sequence to boot from the cdrom first.
hope it helps.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 02:48 PM

i have tried both of those and neither one work, please help me out. what should it say in bios i have no clue what to do about that, i really need to get this up and running sometime soon. thanks for the help, but so far its not working. im confused
Old Aug 30, 2002, 03:29 PM
Veteran

In the BIOS menu under one of the options menu's there MIGHT be an option for the boot sequence something like this...
A:\ (Floppy Drive]
C:\ [HDD]
Removable Drive [CD-ROM]

By using the arrow keys after highligting the entry you should be able to move it up & down the list. So move the CD-ROM drive to the first entry in order to boot from it.
However not all PC's ahve this option available but you don't need it for WIn98 anyways.

Boot form the Win98 Startup floppy select with CDROM Support when asked, and watch the screen near the end of the process. It will tell you what drive letter it assigned to the CDROM drive. Prolly F or G
Once you have that info just type the following in the DOS window with the Win98 CD inserted in your drive....

G:
G:\setup (or just setup should work)

THis will begin the install for WIn98

If the Win98 startup folppy does not/will not detect your CDROM drive you will either have to edit the floppy and add the DOS drivers for your drive to it. Or get one from a freind who has it already for his laptop that works.
Or try going to www.bootdisk.com and see if they have one for it

Last edited by Hoss; Aug 30, 2002 at 03:32 PM.