CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 04, 2002, 06:17 PM

Default sharing files question

sponsored links

ok im sharing my sisters pc C drive. And sometimes i can get into it and sometimes it says that i dont have access, but i know that she doesnt know how to disable it from sharing.
Does anyone have any suggestions to why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt?

PS: the internet works fine we r sharing cable internet.

thankx in advance
Old Sep 05, 2002, 12:07 AM
Veteran

your not being specific... what OS? how are you sharing cable modem? Router? Hub? Other? What protocol are you using for LAN? NetBeui? IPX/SPX? TCP/IP? Need more info and will be happy to try and help
Old Sep 05, 2002, 03:50 PM

sorry about that im using Windows XP Pro.
sharing via CrossOver cable. protocol tcp-ip i think.
all i did was plug the crossover cable to both pcs and made a network

thankx in advance
Old Sep 05, 2002, 05:16 PM
Veteran

ahhh ok, this is one of the mysterious XP issues...sometimes im LAN, sometimes im not. What ive seen in the past to correct this for a quick fix, is install the IPX/SPX protocol in both machines. You can do this by right clicking My Netork Places>Properties>Right Click Local Area Connection>properties, click ADD, Add Protocol, and select IPX/SPX. This shoyld maintain the LAN enviroment, if the TCP protocol fails to maintain a connection for some reason.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 05:20 PM

Does XP have Netbui on board, I 've heard it's there, but no longer supported by Microsoft. That is a good option, I have been using with 98SE for ages, trouble free.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 05:44 PM

ok thankx CapBlye but how do i know what my ip address is? so go to add and name it Protocol or choose Post-Ofice Protocol?

Ant212 dont think xp has it