CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 01, 2002, 04:48 PM
Veteran

Lightbulb How to determine the version number of your PS2

If you're not sure which version PS2 you have, take a look at this [URL=***********.consolechips.com/ps2-version-identify.htm]PS2 Console Identification Guide provided by consolechips.com.

They've got some handy photos, too, so you should find out exactly which version PS2 you have and then buy the correct modchip to fit that model!

Enjoy!

Cheddar!
Old Feb 10, 2002, 08:12 PM
Veteran

Default USING NEO 2.5 DVD & FINDING GS 1.93

Originally POSTED by ssjgoku4ever (feb 10-2k2)

**** NONE OF THE WORK FOUND IN THIS DOCUMENT IS MINE, I COMPILED IT FROM VARIOUS PS2 BOARDS AND I GIVE THE CREDIT TO THOSE AND ONLY THOSE WHO WROTE THE INFO.****

I thought this may be helpful, and to those who are going to read this post and say "HEY I DISCOVERED THAT", that's right you did and I give you all the credit but unfortunately I can't remeber everybody who wrote this stuff, so a general THANK YOU goes out to those who made this possible, you know who you are.

GS 1.93 INFO & BOOTING W/ NEO 2.5 DVD

BOOTING METHODS
A) DVDR swap with GameShark 2 Version 2.01

1. Insert Gameshark2 Version2.01 CD into PS2 tray
2. Power off the PS2 for 5 seconds
3. Turn on PS2 by holding the RESET until the Green Reset light and the Blue eject button begins to flash together.
4. Release the RESET button (Note: that both lights will continue to flash)
5. After a few moments the tray will open and then swap the Gameshark disk with an original DVD game with a larger TOC. (eg. Devil may Cry)
6. After the tray closes select START GAME, WITHOUT CODES, then press the X button on the controller.
7. Press Eject within 5 to 10 seconds and be prepared to swap original disk with the backup copied DVD-R disk. Press Eject to Close.
8. DVDR Backup will now start.

If any of the above steps are not working for you, ensure you have the NEO2.5 DVDR soldered in precisely and correctly and there are no cold solder joints. I have personally tested this method using the NEO2.5 DVDR and GameShark2 V2.01 and have booted 8 different DVDR Backups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the above mentioned method has worked for me, for those who are still having problems, the below more complicated method has been proven to work:

Your PS2 must be configued to play DVDR Backups first:
1. Place GameShark2 Version 2.01 into the PS2 and press Reset
2. Select GameShark Codes and Press X
3. Select Add New Game, then Press X
4. Press X 3x. Each time, Updating Code List, Please Wait will then be displayed.
5. Hold the Reset button until it turns Red.
*** The above procedure needs only to be done once ***

Booting DVDR Backups:
1. Place the GameShark2 V2.01 disc into the PS2, then hold Reset Button untill it turns Red
2. Then Press the Reset Button and keep it held. The Reset Button will eventually turn green and the GameShark2 main menu will be displayed.
3. Highlight the GameShark2 Codes, do not press X
4. Press Eject and Swap the GameShark2 disk for the disk with the larger TOC.
5. Press Eject to close the tray and wait at least 10 seconds
6. Press X, highlight New Games and Press X
7. New Code should already be highlighted, with either an empty box to its left, or one with a 'tick' in it.
8. Press X to add or remove the 'tick' the press Start
9. The screen should now say With Code/Without Code. Hightlight With Code.
10. Now you can let go of the Reset Button, the begin pressin X continuously until the screen Updating Code List is displayed.
11. The disk tray will open and you will have a short time to replace the Original disk with the DVDR Backup. The tray will close automatically.
12. The screen will then go black for a while and the game will load.

B)
Normal Boot Method (PS2 Backups)
1. Insert the GameShark2 CD 1
3. Turn on the machine by holding the RESET button until the blue light on the EJECT button begins flashing - release RESET button
4. After 25 seconds the disc tray will automatically open and you must swap the GameShark2 disc with your PS2 backup - you have 5 seconds to perform the disc swap before the disc tray automatically closes
5. Select START GAME
6. Select WITHOUT CODES
7. Press X to begin loading the game

Normal Boot Method 2 (PS2 Backups)
3. Turn on the machine by holding the RESET button until the green light on the RESET button begins flashing - release RESET button
4. After 25 seconds the disc tray will automatically open and you must swap the GameShark2 disc with your PS2 backup - you have 5 seconds to perform the disc swap before the disc tray automatically closes
5. Select START GAME
6. Select WITHOUT CODES
7. Press X to begin loading the game

DVD-R Boot Method (PS2 Backups)*
3. Turn on the machine by holding the RESET button until the green light on the RESET button and the blue light on the eject button begin flashing - release RESET button
4. After 25 seconds the disc tray will automatically open and you must swap the GameShark2 disc with an original DVD-ROM based PS2 game which has a larger TOC (table of contents) than that of your DVD-R copy (click here for a TOC size database) - you have 5 seconds to perform the disc swap before the disc tray automatically closes
5. Once the disc tray closes the RESET button light will become red and joypad operation will be interrupted for 5 seconds at which time the RESET button light will begin flashing green.
6. Select START GAME
7. Select WITHOUT CODES - the disc tray will automatically open
8. Swap the original DVD-ROM based game with your DVD-R backup copy - you have 5 seconds to perform the disc swap before the disc tray automatically closes
9. Press X to begin loading the game

EA Patcher Boot Method(PS2 Backups)
1. Download the EA Patcher package by clicking here and read the included EA Patcher tutorial carefully.
2. Insert the GameShark2 CD 1
3. Power off the PS2 for 5 seconds
4. Turn on the machine by holding the RESET button until the blue light on the EJECT button begins flashing - release RESET button
5. After 25 seconds the disc tray will automatically open and you must swap the GameShark2 disc with your PS2 backup - you have 5 seconds to perform the disc swap before the disc tray automatically closes
6. Select START GAME
7. Select WITHOUT CODES
8. Press X to begin loading the game

How to boot PSX backups
1. Insert your PSX backup copy
2. Turn on the machine by holding the RESET button until the red light on the RESET button begins flashing - release RESET button
3. Game will now boot

How to boot PSX and PS2 originals and DVD movies
1. Insert your PSX original
3. Turn on the machine by pressing the RESET button so that the green light on the REST button is constantly illuminated
4. Game will now boot as normal - the chip is deactivated

How to reset the GameShark2 back to its factory settings
3. Hold all the top buttons (R1 + R2 + L1 + L2) and press start
4. Turn on the machine (Keep buttons held). You will get a message to reset to factory defaults
5. Press X
6. Restart the machine
7. The GameShark2 has now been reset

FINDING GS 1.93
A) I was out looking for another v1.93 today. I couldn't find any with the sticker over the UPC. I knew that not all v1.93 have that sticker since my first one didn't. The trick was being able to tell the difference between the 2.01 and 1.93 without opening it. Not and easy job. I bought one from software etc that was in the older box with all the marking of my first v1.93(rebate offer/6,000 codes/ 7 41948 22806 3 & G-22806SM for the UPC codes). It turned out to be v2.01. I exchanged it for another that too turned out to be v2.01. I then just got a refund to go try somewhere else. I went to ToysRUs. This would never be my choice because they sell alot of GS and would most likely have only the v2.01 in stock. Not to mention that they wont give refunds like software etc. I was surprised to see two v1.6(version sticker on box), one v1.9(version sticker on box), and a bunch with no version sticker but in the older box design. I didnt what to waste $50 and get another version 2.01. To my surprise the manager agreed to open the box that had the version 1.9 sticker on it. It turned out to be a v1.9. Now what do I do? Keep looking somewhere else for the ones with the sticker over the UPC or risk loosing $50 by tring one of the boxes with no version sticker in the older box? Then I thought about something. **Important Part** The v2.01 all come with cardboard in the box to secure the disk so they dont move so much. The only thing that moves a little is the dong since its no longer in that plastic case. This make the box a little heavier and make less noise when you shake it lightly. I went threw all the older design boxes and held them on the narrow side and slowly shook them to hear and feel how much movement there was. There was and easy to tell difference in some of them. I figured the v.193 ones would be the ones with the most movement in the box since there is no cardboard securing the disk or the dong. I pick one and ask the manager if the would open this one too. He said "this is the last one I will open for you". Bingo v1.93 in the older box design with no sticker over the orginal UPC.

Things to do:
Look for the older box design.(6,000 codes, $5 rebate on shark port)
1.Look for the UPC sticker over the origanl UPC. No luck goto #2
2.Look for the UPC numbers (7 41948 22806 3 with G-22806SM ). If there is a box with 13,000 codes(v2.01) around shake it and compare the feel with boxes with 6,000 codes. Your looking for one with no cardboard inside, so it will have alot of movement of the stuff inside. It will also feels lighter(just a little). If you can find one it will mostlikely be v1.93 with a small chance of v1.92.

The sound and feel difference is pretty easy to notice if you find one.

B) *MIGHT NOT WORK- FOR NEO 2.2 PRO*
If you have a neo 2.2 in 8 wire mode and a GS 2.01
this is how you boot

I haven’t tried it since I have a 1.90 and mines works for my version 4 but I have confired that this has worked on a version 1 ps2 with a neo 2.2 and GS 2.01

Give it a try

I boot dvdr-s perfectly fine all the time with my GS2 v2.01.....

It works, there's not doubt about it...

I have v4 PS2, neo 2.2 and GS2 v2.01....

Here's the exact boot method, u don't need dave mirra codes or anything, just do it like this and ur dvdr will boot everytime:

1. Load GS2 v2.01
2. Select GAMESHARK CODES, Press X
3. Select ADD NEW GAME, Press X
4. Press X (Updating Code List Please Wait)
5. Press X (Updating Code List Please Wait)
6. Press X (Updating Code List Please Wait)

You only have to do that once, Now you are ready to play DVD-R backups

1) Turn on the ps2 with GS2 2.01 (holding down the ON/RESET)
2) Select GAMESHARK CODES (Still Holding ON/Reset)
3) Press EJECT (while still holding the ON/RESET button) and swap GS2 2.01 with DVD demo (DMC works well).
4) Press EJECT to close (Wait 10 seconds Still Holding ON/Reset)
5) Then Press X (Still Holding ON/Reset)
6) Make sure -–NEW GAME—is highlighted, Press X (Still Holding ON/Reset)
7) Select –New Code— (Still Holding ON/Reset)
8) Press X (Still Holding ON/Reset)*
9) Press Start (Still Holding ON/Reset)
10) Press X
11) You should now be on 'Start game with codes enabled. Insert disc and press X to start or press O to go back.' screen.
12) Release ON/Reset and press X at the same time, Tray will open on its own
13)Put DVDr in and let the draw close itself. DVDr will now boot.

I know it sounds like a lot of steps, but its really not, once u see what ur doing on screen and u successfully acomplish this once, u can do it everytime no problems....works for me.

Old May 26, 2002, 11:42 AM
Veteran

Whoa, lookie, the FAQ needs a little updating.....bringing it up just as well as it still answers a lot.
Old May 26, 2002, 01:10 PM
suspended

^^^Bump^^^
Old May 27, 2002, 07:42 PM
Veteran

Did you know if you click on that white arrow with a blue box around it next to a subject & select 'open in new window' that it opens to the last message you read in that subject?
Old May 28, 2002, 12:48 AM
Veteran

1) Gameshark/Action Replay CDs can be backuped.
2)Most PS2s cannot play CD-RWs.
3)There is No emautlor for the PC which runs PS2 Games.
4)Most people say Verbatim DataLife Plus Blank Media is the best.

Bump^^

Last edited by konga123; May 28, 2002 at 01:22 AM.