CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Sep 09, 2002, 04:31 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

That's OK then !!

This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 04:57 PM
suspended

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by duffy90210 [/i]
[B]Just making a point that I did see that flying around last week... but as this board does not allow anything such as this, so I cant even tell where I last saw that..

Duffy [/B]
PM me that will ya m8.

Another M$ release that also came out today was IE 6 SP1.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows XP)*
Download size: 452 KB, 2 minutes
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the most recent version of the Internet Explorer 6 core technologies in Windows® XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 provides a private, reliable, and flexible browsing experience and the freedom to experience the best of the Internet for users of Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows NT® 4.0 Service Pack 6a. Total download size for a typical installation is approximately 25 megabytes (MB). However, because setup downloads only those files that are necessary for your computer, this size can vary between 11 and 75 MB.

Take my advice people and [B]start[/B] reading the smallprint on all M$ downloads from now on, you might be rather surprised and concerned by what you read.

With the WMP update you basicly signed your life over to a certain Mr Gates!
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:09 PM
Veteran

Lazza, thats very true, thats one reason I wont upgrade our Win2000 or XP yet until its really needed, not that have anything to hide, its more to do with the principle and the way Microsoft lay out their licences.

If anything should be sent back to Microsoft from my machine, I should be informed and ask if I would want to, rather than just sign your rights away totally because of a update.
This practice sucks, and sucks bad, and I wonder if Microsoft will ever find out, how many of their users will be driven away by this stupid move, and not to mention the already known security holes that could leak company information through the holes.

No wonder so many are looking at moving to Linux, not that Linux is ready for the home and small business market, but I am sure this will make many think twice before buying more Microsoft software.

Countries like China and Argentina, already started their own version of Linux, so to get away from the bullying licencing tactics thrown by Microsoft, hope they can make it happen, as this will sure open up Microsofts blind-folded eyes as to what users 'really' wants.

They keep forgetting one thing, its true that most users use illegal copies of their software, but this is what helped and made Microsoft of who they are today, but I guess as this company grew bigger and bigger, they need more and more revenues, and this is their way of doing so.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:17 PM
Veteran

Apparently tonight on Tech TV there will be an anouncement about a Windows XP flaw that has been purposely NOT told to the public because it is so bad (info held back for 11 weeks).... we will see....

Just now they tried to load the Service Pak and their apps (OS) are legal and it wouldn't d/l because it said it was illegal... OUCH!! The reason I say this is because it is highly recommened that you d/l it because of the flaw.... They're saying the pak can be up to 130megs... WoW...

It looks like a security flaw where you can loose data from your drive. (you can loose your directory in windows) The fix is in the service pak.... at first it sounded like it was something else but the pak will take care of it. www.thescreensavers.com (under show notes) these guys are just the best btw....

Last edited by CousinFizz; Sep 09, 2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:22 PM
Veteran

What is the SP1 do? Do I really need to update my window xp with that SP1 thing?
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:46 PM
Veteran

From the Register :
Bill Gates has sold almost half a billion dollar's worth of Microsoft stock this year, In the second half of this year he bought 2.5 million shares in Eli Lilly, manufacturer of Prozac.

All that after he applied Service Patch 1 for XP ? or is he just getting ready to install the Patch ?
Closed Thread