CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 14, 2002, 01:21 AM

Default Messiah booting problems

sponsored links

I've just finished installing Messiah clone modchip in my NTSC v4(1B) w/gap PS2. Before doing the complete install I only connected the following points 3.5v, GROUND, SCEX and RESET to see if chip is working and yes it did load the PSX backups(& originals) by double tapping the reset button, so I went on and installed the rest of the points. For all connections I used 30 gauge kynar wire from radioshack, except for 3.5 and GROUND I used bigger 24 gauge wire. The modchip was mounted above the laser housing and the wires length was as short as possible. So I finished installation, checked the connections with a big magnifying glass, looked for bridges on bios ( for points A,B,C,H,I I soldered on top of motherboard, while D,E,F,G underneath) and it looks fine. So I assembled PS2 together, making sure wires don't get caught by screws, and started checking how will it boot the games now. First I tried the PSX backup and originals by double tapping the reset button and loaded fine but the color on my TV was all strange and green when playing those PSX games. Then I tried the original PS2 games(cd and dvd) and the booted fine. But then I tried the PS2 cdr backups ( I don't have dvd backups yet ) and the browser screen did recognized them as a PS2 game( blue disk on screen ), but when I tried to load them from there the screen goes black like it's going to load it but the Playstation@ 2 logo doesn't appear and after a while the insert disk message appears, and after that nothing else happens.
I disassembled my PS2, checked the wiring again and everything looks fine but it still doesn't want to load PS2 backups.
So please can you tell me what can be the problem. I mean what is important to know here like is the length of the wires should be as extremely short as possible or maybe what other points need to use bigger wire besides 3.3v & ground. And I don't think the chip is bad because I did the four wire test and it loaded the PSX games, but who knows. And also how important is the cdr media and what is the proven way to make working PS2 backup.
One more thing do I really have to use the PSX NTSC Fix or is it just for playing psx games and nothing else.

Thanks in advance.
Any advice would be great.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 12:13 PM

Well this could be the problem(s)

- You crack the PS2 game (with messiah you don't crack the game, just copy it on fly, like with clone CD!)
- The type of CD you use is not good, that could explaine the read error, try an other brand, like TDK (that works for sure!
- You need a special RGB cable to play imported games, to play it with the right colors

I hope this will help
Old Sep 14, 2002, 02:21 PM
Veteran

i don't know if this is exactley what you mean, but.....with the messiah, when you try and boot any ps2 game (original or backup, cd or dvd format) you have to start the conolse with the game in the drive...or rather, put the game in and press reset. At least for mine (but i think its just a fact when using a messiah) you can't boot the games through the browser menu.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 03:56 PM
Veteran

Crescendoll is right. It's the same for all magic, apple, ultra2 or whatever. Turn system on by hitting Eject, then tap reset to close tray and load game. That will do it if you have good media. And your Messiah is installed corectly, if you had wires crossed or missing, you'd either get nothing on bootup (no blue sony cloud) or you'd get it asking you to set the date and time over and over...
Old Sep 14, 2002, 04:36 PM

Yes, I think it's some cheap cdr media(princo) I use, because I used cd clone direct copying with all the right settings. Anyway I ordered some cdr silvers and I'll see how they work.
One more thing, if messiah fitted PS2 boots original ps2 games that means it will boot backups as well, right; because messiah suppousedly takes control over that whole booting process( I mean no matter what you boot original or backup messiah just tells PS2 that disk is good to load). Could someone tell me if I'm right.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 06:16 PM
Veteran

Yes, if you can boot originals, and the Messiah is completely installed, it is acting as your BIOS. If you are missing a wire, or have a wire in the wrong spot, the system will not function at all. So your install is good, your media is bad. I HIGHLY recommend Verbatim DataLife Plus Premium (you can get them at most Best Buy stores if you're in the states). They are expensive, but well worth it... especially when you consider the cost of a new laser from using Princos. CD silvers are even better...