CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:34 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Hey, glad you got your problem fixed!!! Never thought of the laser being that the CDR didn't work at first, then did. Glad you got it. As for the grinding, I still think that's related to the fix chip somehow, but not sure. The only time I've ever had that grinding noise was when I had a bad fix chip (it worked, but made that noise when reset was hit). After I replaced the chip, no more trouble... being that you have no chip, I don't really know then.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 09:23 AM

hi
brand new to ps2's, and WAS thinking about buying a new one and a messiah and installing myself - maybe i'll think twice now!!!

I noticed on ?china messiah? web site TIPS section that you have to be very careful when soldering (think it was near laser end) because the laser diode is near and can be damaged during the install process if not careful. Maybe that was your problem???

Anyway - after some advice
How difficult is it to install one - I'm not too bad with a soldering iron, and got a decent finetip one recently, but dont want to trash a brand new ps2!
my disabled son is desperate for one, and wants to be able to play all his ps1 games (copies and originals) and i wouldn't mind saving some money on the games we buy him too! (backups seem a lot cheaper ;-) ....)

is messiah chip best option then? and what about the psx1 mod chip you've been mentioning ?
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:05 PM

Better send it to somebody to get it chipped. Because I was thinking the same way, that I would save money by just buying the chip and installing it myself but I ended up by spending the same amount of money if I would send it to get chipped, because I had to buy a new laser replacement. Unless you really good at soldering and have all the right equipment (remember soldering iron's tip no bigger then 1mm) then you could try it yourself. But once you open you PS2 you will see that soldering points are really small (also on install. pics they seem big, but they not) and you need a steady hands to do this job. So, like I said better send it to somebody to get it chipped. Check North American or European (depends where you live) Modchip Installations threads in this forum to see the services available. But remember Messiah only compatible with USA ntsc v4 w/gap or if you in europe I think it's compatible with all versions v3-v5/6. But if you said you gonna buy new PS2 you'll probably get v7 and then you could get it chipped with apple or magic chips, which according to some people better and unlike messiah they don't require psx1 ntsc fix chip.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:16 PM
Veteran

Actually, the Messiah is the best chip out there, even with the PS2 fix chip. Although the Apple and magic work fine, I've never had a problem, they are basically just clones of the Messiah. Gcollinson, have you looked at premods? By the time you buy a chip, a GOOD soldering iron (do not use the 15 watt Radio Shack model!), flux, tools, etc, etc, you've spent that much already. Of course, some people like to do stuff themselves, but if you haven't had any soldering experience, I would HIGHLY recommend against installing a non-swap mod yourself...