CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:08 PM

sponsored links

I tried that though (runnin it in the burner, in the DVD-ROM, hide cdr media with CloneCD) and I still end up with the same error, the game will start to load, but then it will all crash out and an error message in XP Pro comes up sayin that the game has made an illigal opperation and it will be closed. Any other ideas? Please?
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:37 PM

BTW, I have made working copies of SD2 games like Black & White which work\load perfectly, but MOHAA wont.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 07:36 AM
Veteran

you should run it rather in a cdrom read only drive then in a cd-r drive, because when running it in a read only drive, the game cannot perform the atip check.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 02:59 PM

I do. My DVD drive (note: it is NOT a DVD-R or DVD-RW drive) can read cd-r and cdrw discs. I even use my DVD drive to make the image file because it is able to produce better image files then what my burner can. But here is my question that I have:

I have made perfect copies of SD2 games like B&W that work perfectly in either drive. With MOHAA, I can make a good image file (I tried it with Daemon Tools and the game installed and played fine), but as soon as I copied the image file to a cd-r, the game will either tell me to quit the game and re-insert the CD and try again, or, the game will finish loading, but right before that DOS box appears, the game will compleatly close-out and XP will tell me that "MOHAA.exe has caused a fatal exeption in blahblahblah.tmp and will now close"

I have tried different burner settings and speeds, with no luck. The only thing that I found to work is Insektors, but I would rather have a working backup that dont need these 3rd party utilities. Any ideas peeps?
Old Oct 02, 2002, 05:38 AM
Veteran

Well your drive does not fully support SD2... So what you are experiancing I guess is pretty typical. Pre v2.51.xx games were easier to copy.

As I said though I was able to create a copy of MOHAA with esentially the same drive that at least worked in some drives.

Did you try copying it using AWS, etc. ??
Old Oct 02, 2002, 09:57 AM

TY for the reply celtic_druid, but, no, I havent tried AWS (What is it anyway, a different type of reading/writing mode? And, for which proggy?).

And, you are correct about the burner being only partially supporting SD2 protection. I have found out on a few other boards that even though that the burner is "capable of burning cd-text", but that is the extent of it, only having the ability, but not actually being able to burn it because of the way that some burning programs are programed. The burner in question (the philips 1208) can only burn the first 48 bytes of subcode data (I think it was 48...), but most burning programs only support the 96bytes, and not the lesser, which is why only a very few programs work very well with this burner.

I was informed that this is more on the side of a firmware problem, and that there *might* be a fix for it some time in the future (past the 4.0 firmware version).

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt that others could find this info usefull.

Thanks all, I guess I will have to stick with using insektors for the time being untill I can afford a new burner.