CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 21, 2002, 01:43 PM

Unhappy Laptop Disaster! How do I install XP with no CD-ROM drive?

sponsored links

I've just tried installing XP on top of Windows 98 running on a recently bought Dell laptop.

Annoyingly the installation crashed halfway through so I decided to try a completely new install of the XP. Even worse happened when creating a new partition the laptop stalled again and I was forced to reboot it.

This has left me with no operating system and no CD-ROM drive with which to try re-installing Win 98 or XP from. Its one of those laptops where the CD-ROM and floppy drives are interchangeable which creates even more problems.

As I have no drivers for the CD-ROM drive anyway, can someone suggest how I can get either Windows 98 or XP back on my machine? Would I need a boot disk for the CD-ROM drive or something?

Ta very much.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 01:58 PM
Banned

do any of your friends own a laptop?

take the HDD out of yours, then take it over to a friends, have XP installed
from his rig, then put the HDD back in your. voila!
Old Sep 21, 2002, 02:06 PM

see if you can change the start up sequence in the bios and change the floppy to the cdrom.
also go to dell's website and look up your laptop model there as they probably have the answer there and possibly a boot disk to download.
hope it helps.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 04:37 PM

Thanks for replying.

Basically I changed the boot disc sequence and managed to get the XP installation going. But for some reason reckon my XP disc must be faulty as I keep getting "installation failure errors" halfway through and I am also having trouble formatting the hard drive as NTFS, hopefully the disk isnt damaged.

Really now all I want to do is reinstall win 98 but I can't because unlike the XP cd, my win 98 cd doesn't seem to be a bootable cd.... is there anything I can do to get round this?

My mate has an almost identicale dell laptop so I could try this swapping HDD but are you sure it will work, and without sounding totally stupid what exactly is a rig?

Cheers
Old Sep 21, 2002, 05:08 PM
Veteran

check these threads out nearly identical to your problem ,there's a few solutions for you to try.

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164814&highlight=QWERTY

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172480&highlight=laptop
Old Sep 22, 2002, 05:52 AM
Veteran

Does the dell machine have two interchange bays, one for the battery and one for the CD Drive/floppydrive?, if so pull the battery and put the floppy drive in there, power the laptop from the mains till the OS is installed