CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 21, 2002, 06:49 PM

Unhappy Making a boot disk to install Windows 98 on a wiped laptop? Please help!

sponsored links

Okay I've got meself into a right mess here.

I managed to wipe clean a Dell C600 laptop with an interchangeable floppy/cd-rom drive. All i want to do is re-install windows 98 from the cd but I can't because the cd is not bootable and I don't have the drivers for the cd-rom drive, or know what kind of cd-rom drive it is (came with laptop).

So.. if I make a windows 98 startup cd on my normal pc and boot it up on the laptop then surely the cd drivers won't work because the cd-rom drives are different on both machines? or can I bung some sort of standard cd-rom driver on the floppy?

Then.. assuming the floppy boot disk works and the cd-rom drivers run correctly, how then can I use the cd-rom drive if that means turning the machine off to swap the drives round!!?

AAArgh... help appreciated!
Old Sep 21, 2002, 06:55 PM
suspended

Get a bootdisk [url=www.bootdisk.com]Here.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 05:50 AM

Hi I've managed to make 2 working boot floppys, one from win 98 on my normal pc and one from bootdisk.com

These both load up but the cd-rom drivers do not work because the cd-rom drive is not actually in the machine because the floppy/cdrom drives are swappable and cannot be in the laptop at the same time!

Could someone please tell me if there is a way of copying the contents of the boot disks to my laptops HD, so that the correct system files will load up when I take the floppy drive out and put the cd-rom drive it??

Thanks!!
Old Sep 22, 2002, 06:03 AM
Banned

Try using a generic cdrom driver, most these days are all interchangeable
Old Sep 22, 2002, 06:08 AM

Thanks but how can I load up the cd-rom drivers (from a floppy) if there is no physical cd-rom drive in the machine?

Could I install DOS and copy my boot disk files to the HD or something?

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 06:36 AM
Veteran

Is the bios checked to automatically configure it out? If not make sure you know what you're doing when going into the bios.BD