CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 27, 2002, 02:54 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I assume you have setup 480p and 720p and 1080i in the original MSDash for your video output already. You are probably already used to the quality of HDTV anyway. It's just a full 60 fps progressive scan now. So I can't say if the quality is better. However the hack does work. It is playing in Progressive mode. Because if I move it to a TV without HD and progressive capability. The menu and DVD play is screwed. The refresh is wrong.

I am moving it from Wega 36" HDTV Sony to Sony Wega 27" both on component. So I can say it is doing progressive.

Quality difference is in the eye of the beholder.

Why not just edit both, since you are on HDTV anyway. So you can be sure both the DVD2 and MSDash are all playing progressive, then let us know if quality increase or it's minimal
Old Sep 27, 2002, 03:25 PM

I have only edited the hex string for progressive scan in the default.xbe of DVDX2.0.

When you say, "I assume you have setup 480p and 720p and 1080i in the original MSDash for your video output already", how do I do that. Are you just referring to editing the hex string in the MSDash to enable progressive playback? If not, then how do I setup those resolutions for my XBOX video output?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Oh, goto your original MSDash, where you setup system configuration (i.e. clock, audio, video) etc.

Goto the Video section, you can pick like full screen 4:3, 16:9 etc also, there are all the scan settings, 480p 720p etc. You HAVE to have the HD A/V set for it to recongize it. So you get that option in the settings.

I assume you have it already, since you have component setup.

Anyhow, I would set all that to YES (480p 720p 1080i) and while you are there, set your audio to like enable DTS, and DD etc. I got it running DTS, it's sweet.

Also, might as well do the MSDash hack also so the dash and the XBox player would play in progressive scan.

Jaymus

just e-mail me if you have questions.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 05:10 PM

I find it hard to believe that you can get progressive scan out of the Xbox simply by editing a few lines of code. Makes no sense that Microsoft would put the hardware in there, yet not use the right software calls to enable it. Not that the hardware costs much extra, but on a system that is suppsoed to be losing money with every unit sold, saving every penny would count.

And a progressive scan DVD player would be a selling point of the Xbox, so if it jsut took some software tweaks, I am sure Microsoft would have incporated it. I'm thinking it may emulate a progressive scan (in terms of being a line doubler), but as far as being a TRUE progressive scan DVD player, I am jut not buying it.

But, those are jsut my 2cents...
Old Sep 27, 2002, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Well it does have the capability to output the games already in Progressive Scan. (NOT HACKED or MODDED) So I think the machine maybe capable, but why microsoft took it out in the first place is probably a lot of pressure from DVD player manufacture maybe (Speculating)

Like you said, why would I buy a TRUE Progressive Scan standalone player if XBox can do it also at such a comparable price (back then it was $300)

As far as Progressive Scan with the hack........perhaps you are right about it emulating, but it is outputting Progressive Scan, line doubler or not. My normal TV can't display it anymore after I change it. If I put it on my HDTV, it would display it in the same mode. (Meaning leaving it in Progressive Scan)

If you read some old XBox news letters or releases, they INTENDED to put in progressive scan, but took it out at the last moment. Probably with software changes. I wouldn't see them re-manufacturing all the hardware at such a late stage back then

Anyhow, as far as I can tell.

with the HACK, it is outputting some form of Progressive Scan. True or not (line doubler), my normal TV can't display it, but the HDTV can. Both using component.

Jaymus
Old Sep 27, 2002, 05:29 PM

So can someone tell me this!!!!!
Would this give me a better quality picture on my sony projector? its svga compatible?