CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 29, 2002, 10:56 PM
Veteran

Default Can i SPLIT my cable modem connection. . .

sponsored links

Hey Vyse here
I was wondering if its possible to split my cable modem connection (cox) and send one to the cable box and the other one to the comp? The reason why im asking is because i want to cancel my TV subscription and just use the Cable Modem connection, and split that and HOPE it will still allow me to watch my cable TV channels like normal. oh if i makes any difference im in NY. Can anyone help? or give any suggestion?

Im not trying to watch cable TV on my computer, i just want to know if its possible to split the cable modem connection and use that for cable TV.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 05:28 AM
Veteran

it works in the UK
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:12 PM

dont u have to at least have the basic cable package to get the broadband account? thats how it works here. with Cox Communications
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Even if that wasn't true, they usually put a filter on it that blocks TV but allows internet. Most cable guys are outside contractors and get paid on a "per job" basis. If I were you, I would just give teh cable guy $50 and he will leave the filters off. Also, cable boxes receive and send info, so if you arent subscribed, they will know, so dont use the cable box, just run it straight into your TV.
Old Oct 02, 2002, 07:42 PM

yes you could, drop all the basic service, just keep the cable internet,
it works for me.
Old Oct 05, 2002, 08:34 AM

Most Cable companies block the Video when you just have a cable modem so no you won't beable to watch TV..

And most of the people who do that kind of work are Cable Company employees and they will trap the video. (If you cancel the Cable TV they will trap the Video)