CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 01:01 AM

sponsored links

Try this site out for info on modem and system tweaking:

********speedguide.net/

I will say though I did basically evrything they said to do and really didn't notice a difference. 56k is capped to max out at about 53,000bps so there's not a whole lot you can do. I used to get about 42,000bps in a town of less than 2000 people with a phone company switch about a mile from my house. DSL/cable will be everywhere soon and modems will be obsolete. I understand your frustration though being that I was on a 56k for the first 4 years I had my puter, however, for the last month I've been on DSL. I'll never look back.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 01:14 AM
suspended

You are not going to see any noticeable improvement in speed with any modems or tweaks on 56k. I would recommend looking into broadband providers in your area. If you are paying 20 a month for 56k, 50 a month for broadband is a bargain IMHO since it is [b]SO[/b] much faster. Once you have it, you will never want to be without it again.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 10:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ElaineM [/i]
[B]You are not going to see any noticeable improvement in speed with any modems or tweaks on 56k.[/B]
If thats true then what about 'browser settings' - surely theres something within mine that would speedup matters?
??

ps- its nice to see a woman in this place
Old Feb 18, 2002, 02:07 AM

You're just not going to notice any improvement with a 56k. Check your connection speed. If you're getting anything over 40,000 bps then you're doing pretty good. Only way you're going to see a difference is by upgrading. I've got DSL now for $39 a month for 6 months. Compare that to like AOL that charges like $23 or so a month. Not to mention my DSL service is Linux compatible so I have found my calling and will never, EVER, go back.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 06:38 PM

Default speed

basically your at the mercy of tje phone company...i have no ADSL or ISDN.no cable...satellite cost about $900-set-up..then they want $60-
aus dollar. dial-up is all we have ..so depending on telstra i acn run at
49'900 bps but at the moment i am running at 31,900 bps..it's out of my hands...your ISP has some control with BROADBAND but it boils down to
moneyyyyyyyy.cotrling profits etc: etc:;

[IMG]***********.eewandew.com/sig/shazco.gif[/IMG]
Old Feb 24, 2002, 08:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Heeled [/i]
[B]You're just not going to notice any improvement with a 56k. [/B]
speak for your self!

my tinkering an research has blessed me with a few speedups an at NO cost!

for example i found that proxies cause slowdowns, whereas a firewall does not.

im also surprised no one here thought to mention that in this topic before!

so you see, one can make things better by trial an testing>

[url=********british-marque.web1000.com][img]********british-marque.web1000.com/Images/BMbaner1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by VLC; Aug 15, 2002 at 12:05 AM.
Closed Thread