CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Feb 24, 2002, 08:58 PM

sponsored links

Ok well if it worked for you then bonus. What are you basing the improvements on? D/l speed, page load time, kbps difference from before? I know when I used my modem my isp had about 50 different numbers I could use to connect. Some got me on at about 30,000kbps and others got me on at 45,000. It just all depends.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 06:30 AM
Veteran

I moved last summer and at that moment, i decided this was a nice oppurtunity to spoil myself a little and get ISDN. I have been using ISDN for few months now, and i must say it's quite an improovement compared to 56k.

What i did notice however, is that the provider WorldOnline (Tiscali) i have been using ever since i had a modem, was teribly slow compared to the connection speed i got at my old house even when using ISDN. Connection speed of 3-5 kbps was even [u]slower[/u] than 56k. Go figure.... I live in a city in the Netherlands with about 35.000 people, but it seemed like everyone was on Tiscali here.

I have been looking around for a while, and found a new provider, guess what connection speed is somewehere between 8 and 17 kbps!

Over here DSL and cable are not available (yet). Should be in about 1 year. However, coasts are very high.
Of course i agree with ElaineM, spending 50,- on DSL or cable is a bargain compared to 20,- on dail up.
Never wurry about the cost, never wurry about connection speed, never mind numerous downloads or uploads, never mind outrageously large downloads... Nevertheless, unless you spend several hours a day on the internet every day, i think 50,- is just to much!
50*12=600 a year for DSL? ... i don't think so...

To get a grip on the cost you can also do something else: i use a "flat-fee" connection. I pay 14,- for 20 hours of unlimited access to a free dail-up connection. When these hours are used, i can not connect anymore, and i will need to make a connection through a normal dail up, at the regular local telephone cost of 0.01 a minute. Works fine for me.

[img]***********.ewandew.com/sig/Awiz.gif [/img]
Old Mar 03, 2002, 09:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Heeled [/i]
[B]What are you basing the improvements on? D/l speed, page load time, kbps difference from before?[/B]
Obviously im talking about 'page load time' as thats what most surfers complain about since the internet became popular, although its connected to what your actual setup is, so everything else relates to this.
Any way, thanks for contributing, as i forgot about dial-up options, an know that my 1st was 33k an my latest is 56k, an all because i selected a dedicated phone-line connection than the standard one from the choices offered by my ISP.

PS- an it didnt cost me anything - unlike the asdl/isdn etc mentioned previously

Last edited by VLC; Mar 10, 2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2002, 02:52 AM

Hey no problem. I just remember endless hours trying to speed up my dial up and getting frustrated so I know what you are going through.
Old Mar 04, 2002, 08:31 AM
Veteran

Use Getright to mutli connect to one server...
Old Mar 04, 2002, 02:36 PM

There are some other things to consider. While it seems tough to measure some browsers work better on some pages than others. It seems Opera is the fastest browser overall. Go into your internet options and you can change some settings about page loading [always reload, never and so forth]. Back when I was on dialup there were a few sites I visited often that I knew were slow to load. I use to keep a directory on my desktop with saved pages from those sites. Sometimes on forums that have a heavy load on the server use the right mouse button to open a discussion so you don't need to redownload the main page.
Closed Thread