CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Mar 27, 2002, 06:12 PM

sponsored links

Yeah...I was gonna ask. I think I did something bad. My page load time takes a lot longer now.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 09:00 PM

I thought I'd share these sites. Might help.

***********.optimizing.net/
***********.56k.com/inits/a2z.shtml - for drivers
Old Mar 27, 2002, 11:11 PM

www.download.com

search popup and there are a few downloads of popup killers
Old Mar 31, 2002, 09:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ShIfTeR101 [/i]
[B]VLC I am also stuck with a slow 56kbps connection with no chance of getting cable/dsl. Can you list the things that you have done tp speed up your connection[/B]
Yeh boss, just read all the stuff i found recently an wrote above, plus a few other members ideas, although its mainly been me thats provided soloutions.
ps- i also use 'popupstopper' via ***********.popupstopper.net
Old Apr 01, 2002, 12:40 AM
Veteran

I used to have 56k. I download files up to 6 kb per second. I think that that was fast.
Old Apr 01, 2002, 03:57 AM
Veteran

One of the best things you can do to help your connection speed (and it costs nothing) is to make sure all of the contacts in the phone jacks in your house are clean. A corroded contact on a jack that does not even have a phone connected can create "noise" on the line which wll slow you down drastically.
I know this from personal experience, and even isolated a jack that had clean contacts, but was somehow defective in the internal wiring in it. It appeared ok, and phones worked fine on it, but as soon as I replaced it my connection speed troubles were over.

An easy way to tell if there is noise on your line without any testing equipment is to pick up the phone and dial any single digit (other than 0) and just listen. Any pops or hiss or static that yopu can hear will cause you grief and you will never get e fast connection!

Helped a friend with his connection troubles when we discovered that an old phone in his daughters room was slowing him down just by being plugged into the circuits.

Just make sure that you put any wires you disconnect for cleaning back the way you found them.

And for Shifter101, Pop Up Stopper is free and works very good. ***********.panicware.com/product_dpps.html
Closed Thread