CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:27 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by skillfully [/i]
[B]becoz sega can not make a top console like the ps2 2 save there lifes [/B]
Don't make me laugh! Sega could make a system so much better than the PS2 easily! They have always been the cutting edge before anybody else. They beat Nintendo to 16-bit. They beat Sony to 32-bit and they beat everyone to 128-bit. Even to this day, the Saturn is a better machine than the PSX. And the Dreamcast is up to par with the PS2 and the DC was around way before the PS2 -- it came out in 1999!

Sony just has the bazillions of $$$ to spend on marketing to make impressional people like you believe their the greatest.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Even to this day, the Saturn is a better machine than the PSX.
Wow...you almost had me til this comment...lol...I hope you mean "more durable machine"...the psx was put together cheaply(word? lol) no doubt, but the psx, even as much as I loved my Saturn, was a much better piece of kit. Let's face facts, Sony realized where games were headed and Sega did not...the psx was a polygon-crusher and the Saturn was...well...you could play a lot of great sprite-based Capcom titles ...I agree with you though, Sega could easily make a console that rivals the ps2, and exceeds it ...

jags
Old Oct 20, 2002, 04:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jaguarsin2001 [/i]
[B]

Wow...you almost had me til this comment...lol...I hope you mean "more durable machine"...the psx was put together cheaply(word? lol) no doubt, but the psx, even as much as I loved my Saturn, was a much better piece of kit. Let's face facts, Sony realized where games were headed and Sega did not...the psx was a polygon-crusher and the Saturn was...well...you could play a lot of great sprite-based Capcom titles ...I agree with you though, Sega could easily make a console that rivals the ps2, and exceeds it ...

jags [/B]
Sony had the better game selection later on, but very few "killer titles" like PD Saga, Nights, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes etc. The Saturn was way better at 2D -- no comparison. 3D was a little closer, but Virtua Fighter 2 was a great showcase of 3D power, unfortunately the Saturn was a pretty complex machine (w/ a lot of processors) so many developers never really took advantage of it's powers.

Also, looking back the 3D games of the 32-bit era weren't matured well and I think most of the better games of the 2 systems were 2D games -- and, again, that's where the Saturn shined.

And yes, like you said, the Saturn hardware was more dependable than the PSX.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 04:32 PM
Veteran

everytime you buy from sony, god kills a kitten

lol, read it on DCEmulation i think, a classic.

Sega now though still has a big following (see here now) and if PS2 went tits up in a few years, i dont think they still would.

I own a Xbox (not chipped) + a PS2 (chipped), and to be honest My DC , snes + mega drive get played on more.

Stick with the best, stick with SEGA !!!!!
Old Oct 21, 2002, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Sony had the better game selection later on, but very few "killer titles" like PD Saga, Nights, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes etc.
Wow...only in the DC forum could you get away with a comment like that ...how do you define a "killer title"? Cult following?...b/c that's the only way that comment would make any sense. The only "console seller" out of any of those is Nights, and Nights success was nowhere near the success of even the moderately successful titles on psx. Don't get me wrong, I love Sega...but you also have to be a realist. Whether or not Saturn had the potential to be a better machine is irrelevant...if the developers can't figure out a way to harness the power then it's useless...they might as well have saved themselves the trouble and never included the additional processing power in the first place. Virtua Fighter 2 was a pretty good looking game, true...but Sony's little psx blew the Saturn out of the water when it came to polygons, pure and simple. Just take a look at Burning Rangers, one of the very last games released for the Saturn...fun game, utilizing the Nights engine...but there's so much ripping and clipping and...well, it was pretty obviously pushing the console to its limits (and that's a Sega internal team, btw...just think of the poor saps in the 3rd party development teams trying to make a 3-D game for the Saturn)...

Quote:
Also, looking back the 3D games of the 32-bit era weren't matured well and I think most of the better games of the 2 systems were 2D games -- and, again, that's where the Saturn shined.
Do me a favor...name those 2-D games on the psx w/o mentioning a Capcom fighting game ...

The Saturn will always be a personal favorite of mine, but...the psx simply dominated the Saturn in (almost) every way imaginable...

jags
Old Oct 21, 2002, 04:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[B]
how do you define a "killer title"?
[/B]
In the context of what I was talking about, a "killer title" would be a game that is unique and has great gameplay. This is as opposed to a rehash or sequal of previous games/genres. The games I mentioned also had good graphics.

Also, some of the games you claim were only "cult" favorites are true classics. There are many games out there that will claim that Radiant Silvergun is the greatest shooter of all time and that PD Saga is the best RPG of all time.

Quote:
[B]
Whether or not Saturn had the potential to be a better machine is irrelevant...
[/B]
Well that was the point I was trying to make. The Saturn was a better MACHINE, not a better commercial success. (I started my point in reference to the statement, "becoz sega can not make a top console like the ps2 2 save there lifes ") The fact is overly obvious that the PSX was a bigger success.

Quote:
[B]
Do me a favor...name those 2-D games on the psx w/o mentioning a Capcom fighting game ...
[/B]
First of all the Capcom titles alone are enough to keep me happy. I love 2D fighters.

Also, there was a little company named SNK. I know they didn't make many US titles, but the imports were great. (King of Fighters, Metal Slug, etc)

While I have not played it personally on the Saturn, I have heard Dracula X (Castlevania SOTN) had some improved graphics in the Saturn version.

Sillohette Mirage, another Treasure game was on both systems. The graphics were also significantly better on the Saturn version.

There's also a number of excellent shooters on the Saturn like Thunder Force V.

Going back to 3D, Dead or Alive was on both systems. The Saturn version has better textures and is bit smoother.

The Saturn also had the ability to expand the memory via a 4MB card that allowed games like Street Fighter vs XMen and other Capcom and SNK games to played in all their glory -- much unlike the PSX.

Once again, lemme state that my point was that the Saturn was a better machine technically.

I'm not trying to start up any arguements, I just like to state my opinions.

And just to let you know, I'm not just some Sega "fanboy". I'm actually looking into getting a (heaven forbid, I know) Nintendo Gamecube.