CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:39 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

The Saturn was much better at sprite-based graphics...I absolutely agree with you there ...

I disagree that they were similar when it came to pushing polys...at least in terms of what developers could actually pull out of the processors...I think you'd be hard pressed to name third parties that produced great polygonal games for the Saturn...at least far, far fewer than the companies who released great polygon-based games for the psx, like Polyphony Digital, Konami, Namco, etc, etc...

I also disagree that "2D capabilities" were more mature...I think many of the polygon titles from the 32 bit era were, and still are, great games...both in terms of graphics and gameplay...go pick up a little title called Omega Boost for the psx one day and enjoy a great polygon based shooter...

I do however agree with you...you are entitled to your opinion that the Saturn was a better machine...I think you're wrong of course , but I can totally see where you're coming from...I played Dragon Force every day for what seems like months...and the Panzer Dragoon titles were simply brilliant...and Sega Rally? Don't even get me started ...

We'll get off on a totally separate tangent if I discuss my differences with you over your comment that the ps2 isn't much better than the DC (wha???), but when it comes to crushing the fanboy factions, I'm all for it! Nice talking (typing?) to you...

best,
jags
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jaguarsin2001 [/i]
[B] Nice talking (typing?) to you...
[/B]

Hehe same here.

I guess we can give the debate a rest huh?

I'll have to find that PSX game you were talking about.

I'm trying to explore some PSX titles -- expanding my horizons, ya know

TTYL
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:54 PM

sega got basically no 3rd party support so they had to make all of their games and they couldn;t make enough good ones
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by IS IT ME OR AM I THE MAN [/i]
[B]sega got basically no 3rd party support so they had to make all of their games and they couldn;t make enough good ones [/B]
The were missing some key publishers like Konami and EA, but they did have some other good ones like Capcom, Namco, and SNK (via Agetec & Playmore). Made for some yummy fighters
Old Oct 25, 2002, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Sega had more 3rd party support (on the DC) than Nintendo (on the N64) yet Nintendo still faired better than them. Yes they went all out for the DC, but it wasn't the case of them not developing enough good ones (as the 2/3 yrs of the DC's life, they had the biggest selection of AAA titles there was) it was the case of them not even selling (pirates (yes, us), plus the mistrust of the majority of the gamers).

They had full-on support from Capcom and SNK, but Namco didn't exactly go all out for them (Soul Calibur and Mr. Driller were the only games that I can remember from them. Forget about Konami, they seem to be totally bias toward the popular console(s) only.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:49 PM

Look guys i have a PS2(CHIPPED), XBOX(CHIPPED), GAMECUBE,PSX,NINTENDO 64, GAMEBOY ADVANCE. Put it this way i have had every system that has ever came out(jaguar, intellivisoin, etc...). to th point, the console i use the most is DREAMCAST hands down. my brothers get mad at me because i am playing a dead system. dont get me wrong i play xbox and ps2 all the time also, but i play the dc soooo much its unreal. because of the fact that the dc had the best games for hardcore gammers. the dc was not open to casual gammers as much as hard core gammers. games like nfl 2k2, nba 2k2, phantasy star online, skies of arcadia, mdk2, sonic, etc.. the list goes on and on they were the fist to take games online they were the first to go 128 bits, i mean cmon they came out with a game with a dc to a guys back aka typing of the dead. so many awsome games on the system that nobody even gave a chance because it was all about the psx. i mean psx had awsome games as well but no true gamer can be biased against any system. a true gammer loves a game because of it gameplay, not because of the graphics or because its on a certain system. but the sad thing is that no one trusts sega now and no one ever will. because of the fact that people know them as a company that just leaves their systems in the cold. when in fact it is just the opposite. sega tried there best to stay with the system, but at the end they did what you and me would have done. run and make the games we all lov on other systems so hey would not abandone people that love their games like me and u. sega has to get others to find out that they have awsome games so they can get the biased gammers out and start loving their games like jet set radio, and their sport franchises. they got to do that before they can make another console. that will be in about 10-15 years fom now sadly. the dreamcast used the technology that they had in 1999 and used all of it available to them and put it in the dc. if the dreamcast came out today as in today it would be above what the xbox is today. no joke. sega has always ben on the cutting edge of technology. the dreamcast got best invention of the year when it came out. that is how much sega was in the future at that time. lots of people dont even know that. the dc won more awards than that by the way. when push comes to shove the big corrporations shove the little guy out of the way. and the little man goes down. But i am not a biased gammer and never will be. i love my ps2 and i cant wait for vice city, tony hawk 4, metal gear 2, etc.. and i cant wait for halo 2 as well, and unreal championship, etc... FOR THE GAMECUBE MARIO SUNSHINE, metroid, mario party 4, etc.. But my dreamcast will always be played with more because of the hella fun and addicting games that they have for it, and that my friends makes a system th game not the power it holds within.