CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 01, 2002, 11:11 AM

Question Mobo ECS K7S5A for sale at local shop mixed reviews online any info please

sponsored links

Mobo ECS K7S5A 45.00 from local shop to build a small system with a xp1700 chip mixed reviews on line. any info would be great i know you might find cheaper on line but i like to rattle the cage face to face when something goes wrong.

The shop has a web site www.goldchip-uk.com

If you can see better board there about same price let me know.

Cheers SMID
Old Oct 01, 2002, 11:15 AM
Veteran

I had one of them boards and it worked fine for me,not a bad board for the price as it has agp port and ddr slots
Old Oct 01, 2002, 11:25 AM

i've got one with a xp1800 in runs really well but the onboard sound sucks so you will need a pci sound card i am also running the sdram which works well
Old Oct 01, 2002, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by swellpower [/i]
[B]i've got one with a xp1800 in runs really well but the onboard sound sucks so you will need a pci sound card i am also running the sdram which works well [/B]
I have seen a bunch of problems posted regarding the onboard sound...but mine sounds great with a 2.1 setup (Logitech Z-340s) ...

best,
jags
Old Oct 01, 2002, 12:31 PM
suspended

If you've got the mobo v.3.1, things will work better because it's got a later BIOS. I've built several systems with this K7S5A and the sound is NOT bad at. Also, the problems such as not supporting 2 sticks of SDRAM, not supporting 133/133 setting... that people complain a lot do not occur on my boards. So make sure it's the v.3.1 board, which also support XP CPU's up to 2200 and you can download a BIOS from ECS for 2400 and 2600 CPU supports.

This board is very sensitive to heat so in order to make it work great, your case must have good cooling system.
Old Oct 01, 2002, 02:22 PM
suspended

Van the man is spot on as usual!

This board is amazing! It really is!

I spent loads on an Asus A7V333 RAID mobo and still do not notice the diff speedwise from an ECS K7S5A mobo!!! (OK, the Asus is a much better board with all the features it has. But do you really need them? If the answer is no and you just want a solid, reliable mobo and are not too worried about overclocking then IMHO the ECS cannot be beat for the money)

Cheap in price, high in value I say!!! Buy 1 now!!!

Last edited by Lazza; Oct 02, 2002 at 03:19 AM.