CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 05, 2002, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Default IRC WORM VIRUS, how can i get rid of it?

sponsored links

Hey some guy on irc sent me a file, that was a virus. on irc the file sends automatically so i didnt open it. my mcafee found it and it said it was the irc worm.
i tryed to clean, delete and quarintine it with mcafee, but it wouldnt do it. so i tryed scanning the whole drive and it gets stuck on this file when i scan my hd
c:\windows\inf\mdmcpq\.inf

thanks, help is really appreciated
Old Oct 05, 2002, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Go to:

***********.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/ircstages/
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:12 PM
Banned

Only If I Knew
Old Oct 07, 2002, 01:44 AM
suspended

Please make sure that in the future your DCC is [b]not[/b] set to autoget or autoaccept. It is a good idea to scan all files you download with a virus scanner and a trojan scanner with updated defintions first.
Old Oct 07, 2002, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Yeah i will set it to autoget, but i download loads of stuff and leave it running so i need to be able to let it download automatically.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of it, ive been on the mcafee chat rooms and they have told me to run the scan in safe mode and command prompt. ive tryed this and have had no luck it still gets stuck on the windows folder. they have told me that i should delete the temp internet files and this may stop the freezing, i tryed but it still gets stuck before i can finish the scan. maybe the windows/inf is the infected folder. im thinking of formatting becuase its alot of trouble trying to get rid of the virus and it will prob still be bad and have problems if i get rid of the virus.
the name of the irc worm is called the avert or advert virus, it got sent me to as .txt.shs

thanks any help appreciated on how to get rid of this ***** virus
Old Oct 07, 2002, 10:08 AM
Veteran

btw hothi that was the correct virus that i have and the file that i got sent was that one.
thanks for finding out which one it is