CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 06, 2002, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Default The best chip for you, I'll lay it all out for you on all the chips

sponsored links

Ok, i'm getting kind of annoyed with everybody asking what the best chip is so I'll lay it all out (all the major chips) on a few of the chips, I've put what they are compatable, but with all the versions, you'll have to find out yourself. Also, feel free to correct any mistakes I may make.

Neo 2.2 - Good: Cheap, Reliable, Time Tested, Common, good on all versions except v7, no swap for psx backups
Bad: 1 swap for ps2 cd, 2 for ps2 dvdr

Neo 4.1 - Good: Self boots all but dvdr and ea protected games
Bad: Kind of expensive, swap for ea and dvdr games.
Compatable with with 1-6, but many problems with all but v3 and v4 (not compatable with v4 1c.)

Messiah - Good: No swapping, ever, reliable, time tested
Bad: kind of expensive, not a do it yourself job.
Compatable with ntsc v4 1a and 1b, pal - all versions

Magic 2 - Good: No Swapping, ever
Bad: Expensive, hard to install (not diy)
compatable with all versions

Magic 2 clone - DO NOT GET, THEY CAN DAMAGE YOUR PS2!

Neo 2.6 - Good: Selects gameshark opitions for you
Bad: swap for almost everything
Compatable with v4r and v5r

Rmod (no solder mod) - Good: Easy to install, boots dvdrs well
Bad: Only boots cds under 650 mb, must swap for everything
versions available for v4, v5, and v6.

Sbox/neokey/usb mod - Good: Easy to install
Bad: Royal pain is the *** to boot, must swap at least once for everything, and with some you must turn on and off etc. Had a track record of blowing up lasers
Compatabale with v1-v6.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 06:59 PM

When you say not a do-it-yourself mod, does that mean it's impossible or just difficult if you've never messed around inside a ps2 before? If I khow to solder stuff and everything, would I be able to do it just following the instructions?
Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:09 PM
Veteran

Don't forget the Apple chip! NOT A MAGIC CLONE and works great. They have chips for v4, v4r, v5/6 and v7.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:54 PM

What about the matrix 2 for ps-2? Is that any good? I see it on the web site but I don't have any info on it? LMK what up with that chip, please.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:57 PM
Veteran

Madison Mods, I knew I was forgetting something.... China-messiah doesn't have a high opinion of the apple, but I guess it's probably competition.

m_allen1 - If you are good a soldering, not good, but damn good, and by damn good, ask madison mods how easy it is to install a magic 2 or messiah, the points are about 1 mm in size, and they are about 2 mm apart sometimes, and you can't get solder between the two points, hard? You be the judge.

On the chart above I'll make it hard to easy to install

Hard:
Messiah/Magic 2
Neo 4
Apple
Neo 2.6
Neo 2.2
neokey/sbox/usb mod
no solder mod
Old Oct 06, 2002, 11:55 PM
Veteran

If you want to see how difficult it is then open up your PS2 and look and the spacing on the bios. If you are experienced at soldering (electronics) then modding is easy, if you never modded something or are nervous about it, then do yourself a favour and get someone else to do it.