CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:12 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I have my own personal opinion about the apple, messiah, magic 2, and ultra 2. I'll probably **** a few people off by saying this, but from my experiences the apple is the best overall, it's the cheapest, and it does pretty much everything. Now if I had a ps2 compatable with it, I would use the messiah ***Disclamer, I have a neo 2.6, if somebody decides to thank me and give me a no swap ps2, I will be greatful**** Anyway, I have heard very little about the ultra 2, but what I have heard is not all too good, the only good things I have heard is from you moddogs, and I personally take things from the owners of businesses wiith a grain of salt (do you believe that microsoft makes the best os?) Anyway, I am a very neutral party, I'm not an installer (per say)

Now speaking pure fact and not opinion, the magic 3, is bad, any magic chip that isn't the real red board you should stay away from. they run way too hot, and they are more or less trash.

Now from a couple of very experienced installers (probably more than you madison, but no offense or anything there, as I don't know how long you have done modding) but they don't have a real high opinion of the magic 2. I personally am sort of on the negitive side of it, but it seems to work for a lot of people fine.

I will say that the thing about the ultra 2, is that nobody seems to have it, I mean look at a lot of the forums here, magic 2 and messiah, and apple never stop coming up, I've seen an ultra 2 mentioned like twice.

I guess I'll make anybody an offer, (one I sure won't refuse) Send me ps2s, one with an ultra 2, one with a magic, and one with an Apple, I'll test all of them, and even return them to you in perfect condition, if you want a totally non partial free evaluation, then I'll do one.

(Yeah, I know I kind of doubt anybody will feel the need to let me do this,but hey, I'll even send you my ps2 to mod with one of the chips.)
Old Oct 15, 2002, 08:16 PM
Veteran

mwa,

What version do you have? Neo 2.6s went in V5s, right? I can't do a whole unit + chip, but for eval purposes, send in your unit, and I'll do a chip + install for you.

Also, do you remember where you saw negative feedback on the Ultra2s?? I'd like to see it and resolve it. We are really about high-quality working mods at affordable prices and full support of what we offer. Thx.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:13 AM
Veteran

MWA- Personally, I've never had a problem with the Magic 2, but install at least 70% Apple chips. The Magic 2 install is a bit awkward considering the thickness of the unit, but besides that, it does the job. I, like you, completely recommend the Apple chip, and when I have them in stock, it's all I carry. Basically, I'm looking for the best deals for anyone who comes to me for a mod and install. I've been installing for at least 4 years (when did the NEO come out for PSX?) and this is not a full time job for me. I do it in my free time, because I enjoy it. I'm not looking to get rich, and I'm not charging $100 per chip. If I did, I could offer a lifetime guarantee on the chip. I'd buy in bulk and could replace the mod 4 times and still be making money. The Apple does everything that needs to be done, and no one can find a true fault with it (again, besides the ridiculous logo argument). It even loads the net adapter disc, unlike the rumors going around some boards by other chip vendors...

Last edited by madison mods; Oct 16, 2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 02:36 PM

I was wondering if the Magic2 and Messiah soldering points are exactly the same?
Old Oct 16, 2002, 02:43 PM
Veteran

Pretty much. They are basically the same chip. All clones of one another. Even though that's being debated in these forums... But Qwerty, I guess it would depend on the version PS2 you're talking about to be sure.

Last edited by madison mods; Oct 16, 2002 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:16 PM

moddogs
First of all, i have to state that no one is saying that your chip is bad. We just disagree with you when you said Apple and Magic is half working chip.
and the facts that i wrote b4 is just from the NEWS page for some Official Site of Some mod chip.

I am like Madison Mods, I am an installer, not a retailer. I also install what ever chip that my customer wants me to install.

qwertman, if you have a messiah compatible PS2 (V4 non 1C) I suggest that you go for Messiah (the real messiah).

Last edited by qpsxmod; Oct 17, 2002 at 01:57 AM.