CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 08, 2002, 02:53 PM

Default Athlon Xp Cpu's Normal Running Temp

sponsored links

Can any guide members who have an Athlon XP CPU tell me what their
normal/highest running temps are.What I mean by this is what would you expect your CPU temp to be running at after a couple of hours of say
Counterstrike,UT Quake 3 etc.

I,m just looking for a bench mark to measure the running temp on my Athlon 1700 XP,which after a few hours can rise to about 81 degrees C.

Cheers Albion
Old Oct 08, 2002, 03:02 PM

Wow mate, that is quite high. I have an Athlon XP 2000+ and the max temp I've had has been 65 C and the usual is about 62 C.

I know AMD say that they go up to 90 C and should be fine but I'd say you need some fans in there. What are you using to connect the CPU to the HSF? Artic Silver 3 is amazing at bringing down the temp and not the crappy pinkish pad that comes with the retail CPU and HSF.

And to be honest I'm always looking at getting my temp down as I even know people who have the Same CPU as me, Overclocked it and get temp at around 52 C! So I've ordered myself two thermaltake smart fan 2's and a thermaltake volcano 7+, and yes I know it's going to be NOISY but very coooooool

moskito

Last edited by SoLaRiS; Oct 08, 2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 03:14 PM
suspended

I've got a few XP systems that I built (all are overclocked). The CPU temp on all of them never gets above 55 C under heavy loads so I think yours is overheated. You need to make sure the CPU heat sink is installed properly with a very thin thermal paste b/w it and the CPU core and the CPU fan can provide adequate air flow (don't buy cheap one). If the heat sink doesn't make good contact with the CPU, CPU overheating will occur. This will damage the CPU in severe case or reduce the life of the CPU with thermal stress. If the temp gets up to and above 70 C, something is wrong.

BTW, forgot to ask, what is your mainboard (case) temp?

Last edited by Van Nugent; Oct 08, 2002 at 03:57 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 03:45 PM
Veteran

My 1700Xp doesnt go much over 52-53 degrees even under a heavy workload.

What are you using to measure your CPU.

Some software packages are renown for getting it wrong, Sisoft Sandra tells me mine is about 9-10 degrees higher than the ASUS PC Probe and BIOS indicates.

To see which is correct, take a side panel off your PC and leave it switched off until its completely cool and at room temperature i.e overnight.

If you know the room temperature, you can compare the temp in BIOS as soon as you switch on.
They should be very similar if you go straight into BIOS at power up.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 09:10 PM
Veteran

My 1200 Athlon doesn't go above 55c even when encoding VCD's overnight.. Thermaltake Volcano 7 fitted. I'm quite happy with that!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Oct 09, 2002, 01:37 AM

Thanks for the input all.I know the actual problem I,ve got.Just wanted to know if its as bad as I thought.Seems as though it is.

The clasp that the fan is attached to on the motherboard (an excellent one from GYGABYTE) was broken during attachment (you know what they can be like to fit) so the grip is very weak.Unfortunately I,ve asked around and apparently there is,nt a way of fixing the clasp to get a normal contact with the CPU.
It has helped a little to switch the FSB from 100 as opposed to 133,reducing the processor speed to 1.1 GHZ,but after a few hours it still runs at 65 degrees.

So now that you,ve all confirmed my temp is abnormal,I,m going to have to buy a new motherboard (I,ll stick with the same GYGABYTE).As we speak and I,ve only just switched my machine on, it is at 57 degrees.

I use a peice of software called 'hmonitor' to measure the temp.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Albion; Oct 09, 2002 at 01:43 AM.