CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 09, 2002, 03:30 AM

Default Is My Hard Drive Dead?

sponsored links

Hello, yesterday night, my hard drive started making some noizes and my computer eventually froze. It was a turny, swishy sound, intervals of four every other second or so. The drive is an IBM 60gxp Deskstar 60gb. I remember when I bought it (about half a year ago) someone was telling me IBM drives had problems, at least the 75(gxp or gb, I forgot). He didn't know about the 60s so I went ahead with it. Now, I can't even get past the loading WinXP screen, once the sound kicks in it just stays at that screen. I went to the bios and the drive is still detected. Is it dead or is there some way I can recover my files? Safemode didn't work either. Everything is fine until the sound kicks in, and that's before Windows. Also, anyone know if Fry's or IBM have a warranty on the OEM drives?

Here are my specs:
Athlon 1800+
Soyo Dragon Plus
512 Generic Ram
IBM 60 gig
Ati Radeon LE 128

Thanks
Old Oct 09, 2002, 05:04 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

ur HDD is probably getting abit old or not functioning as normal. ifs its under a year old, ur still covered for warrenty i fink.
Old Oct 09, 2002, 05:26 AM
Veteran

Really sounds like a problem I had with a drive once, not an IBM, but same symptoms. Hate to say it but the drive was dead.

And IBM's reallllllly have a problem! They breakdown more often than all other manufacturers put together!
Old Oct 09, 2002, 07:22 AM
Veteran

That clicking is known as [b][i]The Click Of death[/b][/i] and is VERY common in IBM Drives (In ALL GXP Series)

I used to have a little mpeg clip of whats going on inside when it happens but I cant find it now.

the good news is that IBM carry Drive Warranties for 3 yrs form manufacture so you can RMA it and get a replacement.
The place you originally bought it should be able to help.

the bad news is that the RMA will return you another GXP drive which will probably also fail.

The IBM Website has lots of tools to help you recover your data so providing it will spin up then you may be in luck.
The IBM Tools have worked when all other tools have failed so give them a go.

there is a guy round here who staunchly supports IBM Drives, my guess is he recently bought one so feels they must be great!!

The problems are affecting ALL the GXP series, I've had a 120GXP fail on me and I KNOW of others.

NONE of the online review sites will recommend an IBM Drive, nor will I

You can take the chance when you RMA it and place all your Data on it, but keep the floppy tools handy, you may well be needing them again.

If I were you, I'd cut my losses, RMA the piece of junk and use it only for messing with as an extra drive. Dont keep ANY valuable data on it and get something decent as you primary drive.

by decent I mean anything other than an IBM Deathstar
Old Oct 09, 2002, 12:06 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

is Western HDD good then? ne know problems wit that?
Old Oct 09, 2002, 01:05 PM
Banned

I got a weston hd and it don't click, but my don't get as far as the desktop and it restarts