CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 09, 2002, 06:37 PM

sponsored links

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm currently shopping around for a new drive, most likely a 60gb WD. If I were to get a new drive (install Windows), set it as the master drive while the IBM is slave, would I be able to access the IBM drive that way? If not, someone mentioned some programs on the IBM site, is Drive Fitness Test (version 3.10) the one? Either way, I'm going to get a new drive.
Old Oct 09, 2002, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Deskstar = Deathstar.....

LOADS of people have had problems with these drives.. I've got a WD 60gb drive running in my setup and I have to say its excellent..

Not sure about you retrieving the data off that drive if you set it to slave, if it ain't working then it ain't working unfortunatley.. I had a Maxtor 80gb go pop a bit back with the clicking noise and its just dead.. spins up, sounds bloody awful and the heads just sound like they are banging against the casing!!! knacked. Windows doesn't even recognise its there, neither does the Bios!!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:16 AM
Veteran

Seagate or Western Digital are probably the best hard drives in the world.

I have used, tried, fixed etc. every hard drive out there and these 2 companies are the best for your computer.

Seagate 7200rpm are awesome, they feel very sweet. And there 10,000rpm are even better! Smooth hard drives I got to say, never had to fix one!

Western Digital is perfect for all round use, and very reliable. Their hard drives rarely crash or break.

Those 2 companies are great, Maxtor ain't bad also but I have some bad experience with those. I seen more of Maxtors hard drives crash than the 2 companies I mentioned.

Just never get IBM hard drives! They were awesome before they came out with the GXP Series.

Hope I gave you some info.

LATERZ DohDoh
Old Oct 11, 2002, 08:14 PM

recommend the wd. i got a 80 gb 7200, have to say its excellent .
Old Oct 12, 2002, 06:15 AM
Veteran

[url=********forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120811]This thread might be of interest please remove mods if it's a breach and the fastest IDE drive at the minute is the Western Digital Special edition drives so if your worried about speed get one of them and also if you buy a OEM drive you get no warrentee from the manufacter at all only from the place where you bought it from.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 07:52 AM
Veteran

I so hate Maxtor, I have had 2 harddrives that failed in less than 2 years. I will never ever buy a Maxtor again. So far I am loving my seagate harddrive, the best!