CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 10, 2002, 05:54 PM

Default Connecting to the internet while not logged on

sponsored links

is there any way to allow my computer to be connected to the internet while it is not logged on? I have the log on screen come up first when i turn on my computer, so that me and my family can have our own space. I have just connected another computer to this to make a network. My internet is shared accross this network, and my adsl modem is connected to the computer with the family access. I can access other files with the other computer, but i need the internet connected to access the internet. my dad doesn't know much about computers, so i want it so that he can just turn the main computer on, then use the other computer to access the internet, but at the minute i have to log on first, and turn the internet on. So what i'm really after is the internet to connect as the computer starts up, meaning i can access the internet on the other computer, while the main one is not logged in, either by connecting using the other computer, or some other way. is this possible, and does any of that make sense to anyone? hope someone can help,

cheers
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:57 PM
Veteran

Yes it does make sense. What I have just done is bought myself an ADSL broadband router.

I plug my telephone line into the modem and then connect upto 4 network cables (it has an integrated 4 port switch) to 4 pc's on your network.

The router acts as a mini pc which always keeps your connection activated. Therefore as soon as anybody logs on they are on the net already. Another bonus is that you don't have to set any of your software to go through a proxy server which I presume you are doing at the moment because all of the PC's automatically use the router as its network gateway.

HTH