CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 14, 2002, 06:49 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

After chatting with some friends, and doing a bit of research I would reccomend not getting the magic 2. I feel that, (no offense to machiavelli) that they have many problems on a lot of ps2s (on some, they are the best thing since the cd) but many ps2s have problems, also they tend to get very very hot. I would say the best way to go would be the apple. And that's the bottom line, cheaper, better, etc. etc. etc.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 04:41 AM

Apple it is. This board rules!!!!!!

BTW, I should get a 15W soldering iron with a fine tip and some rosin core solder...anything else to do the install. I am comfortable soldering, I went to school for electronics and worked in a fiber optic test equipment company for 2 years and then another elctronic company so I have soldering skills. It's been a while since I soldered becasue I do fiber optics now, but what supplies should I get so I don't have to run out last minute.

Peace and thanks for the knowledge.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:51 PM

Always good to put some Flux on the point before solder.
don't forget to get some wires
Old Oct 15, 2002, 03:59 PM
Veteran

Yeah, bobdam, go to Radio Shack, they have some 30 ga Kynar wire that works pretty good. You should be able to handle it if you have soldering experience, make sure to check the points for crosses with a multimeter before reassembly. And hell, if you know fiber, you can always try fusion splicing the connections to the board...
Old Oct 15, 2002, 05:33 PM

you can always try fusion splicing the connections to the board
..lol. Yeah, I'll grab the Fujikura 30R and get going. LOL.

O.k. then here is my list:
30 gauge Kynar wires (how does the quantitiy go, is it a spool).
15 W slodiering iron ---is 15 W good or can I use my radio shack 30W with a smaller tip?
Rosin core solder
Some Flux.

Did I miss anything!!!

Peace and thanks
Old Oct 15, 2002, 05:50 PM

well, if anything goes wrong you may need a desolder braid (wick)
You don't have to go for 15W if you are good in soldering. I uses a 30W myself, it is easiler when you try to solder the GND.
Just remember 30W is very hot, don't burn yourself. And it can burn the chip very easily so be very careful.