CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:16 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Well bobdam, you got my mail, so enjoy, don't blow anything up!
Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:57 PM
Veteran

Yes, you CAN use a 30 watt, like qpsx said, be careful. You don't want to sit on one point for too long. If it's your first install, I would really recommend the 15 watt. The one from Radio Shack will work (not well, their "needle" point is no needle!) you may want to try filing it down a bit. You'll see what I mean once your PS2 is open and you're looking at thos points you have to solder to. One mistake I see in a lot of the repairs I do, it stripping too much wire. It then comes in contact with other points once the machine is closed up. On the side of the wire that connects to the board, you don't want more than 1/8th (I do about 1/16th) of an inch of wire stripped. A lot of people want to strip 1/4 inch or more so they can heat the wire to melt the solder, but that will cause problems. As for the wire, I think the stuff at Radio Shack is in 50 ft spools, that should be enough to do your mod about 3 times.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:40 PM
Veteran

Make sure you use thicker gauge wire for the power and ground leads (22-24 guage). And if you use the flux wisely, a thicker soldering iron tip will not be the end of the world (the solder will flow onto the pins).
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:38 PM

let us know the result, and good luck to you
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:02 AM

if you want a v7 solution that boots everything they are out there, but apple v7 still a bit of an issue (its timing), so does the magic2. Its not the laser there are videos showing it not booting a dvd9 original, but with a messiah it booted, same system just different boards.

there are other solutions for v7 out there.

i can count 6 v7 solutions.

blue messiah 2
apple
magic2 red
magic2 clones
matrix2 (btw = magic2)
x0-2
"the device" from www.foundmy.com*
*they claim it hasn't been named by the manufacturer
so they just call it the device.

now its time to figure out which will work, and which of them don't.
remember alot of places don't even have a dvd9 media to test what the manufacturer's claim. magic2 went through that.
and now with apples, some dvd original media won't boot properly.
matrix2 and magic2 made in same plant. (hmmm).
Old Oct 21, 2002, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Well I have heard next to nothing about the x0-2, that is why I didn't include it. I didn't want to try to elaborate on something I did not know about. The clones are bad ideas in any case, and the blue messiah 2 is the same as the x0-2.