CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:22 PM
Veteran

Default plz help!!! need to boot up to DOS from Hard drive. HELP ASAP needed

sponsored links

i have a laptop with a cdrom. But i can't boot up with both foppy drive and cdrom all at once...

So i want to boot up to dos from the harddrive instead of from a bootdisk and have the cdrom unit in.

What files do i need on my formatted harddrive so it would boot to dos? Where to i find them?
Also - what do i need to have to make my cdrom work in dos??
plz help and let me know where to find those files and how to make the cdrom work in dos
Thanks very much
Noam
Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:53 PM
Veteran

If your hard drive is formatted you will need something to boot it up to start off with, a CD if your PC supports this or a floppy disk. You'll then need to format the Hard disk (format c: ) then when it's done you'll need to create an autoexec.bat and config.sys. It's been a long time since i've done this so you're better off following the instructions here ***********.computerhope.com/cdromd.htm.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 02:45 PM
Veteran

Do you already have an os on this laptop? If so what?

If you are trying to install one Win98 onwards supports booting from the CD. You may need to adjust the settings in the BIOS to do this.

If you just want dos then boot from a floppy & either do [B]format c: /s[/B] or [B]sys a: c:[/B].

If you do format c: you will lose any data you have on this harddisk.

This will copy over io.sys, msdos.sys & command.com

To use the cdrom you will need to load a cdrom driver (you can get generic ones which might work) & the Microsoft CD extensions (MSCDEX.EXE).