CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:53 AM

sponsored links

Hi. I know what a newbie is, but considering my age and my decent knowledge about computers it doesn't seem right. I've racked my brain for a good justification and can't come up with anything. This is a great forum, but to be called a newbie even before you have a hint of my knowledge, experience, skills and abilities rubs me the wrong way. Okay then, maybe I don't belong here. You have probably heard this rant a thousand times before and it pegs me as someone who you'd rather not have on the forum. My username is supposed to be parmagrantesandseti. I didn't realize it cut me off when typing it in. If you want to classify me as something say it to me personally. Type it, email it, phone it, mail it face to face it, but right off the bat don't put me in a group. I know it's computer tradition to call someone a newbie. I had enough of that crap when I was younger. I'm a veteran and I don't mean of this forum. I'm also senior to a lot of people. I would never be in a group and use these monikers as a status or hierarchal symbol of standing and presence in something as inocuous as a computer forum. I respect peoples knowledge, etc., but when I'm in a forum it gives me pleasure just to give it to people who need it without any reward except what I feel for myself. Shoot, the information in this forum is priceless. It's cool to have sigs and a personality in your posts and even call yourself anything you want in your post from captain to supreme commander. Just don't do it basically behind my back, before you even know I exist. Thanks for your time in this matter.

parmagrantesandseti
Robert
editor-in-chief PC Voodo (the one O is on purpose)
Old Oct 20, 2002, 02:12 AM
Veteran

Jeez man, calm down. The only reason your a newbie is becuase your new to the forums and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS. Its not based on your age, knowlegdge skills, etc.... so calm down. Ranks in this forum is based on how long you're here and your posts. PERIOD
Old Oct 20, 2002, 09:48 AM

Hi. Being ranked is for the Armed services and boys games. Ranked is rank. I'm outta here.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:14 AM

Somebody needs a vacation and a valium.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 01:35 PM

As usual in forums there are personel attacks. I just stated my views. I was extremely calm. In fact I'm on many pills. If I want to call myself a NEWBIE that is fine, but you have no right to classify me in public as a newbie unless I give you permission, which I assume I did when I joined the forums. Who in the heck reads all the stuff before joining anyway. Still, I'm not going to check and I can't believe something like that would be put in a document. Come on now, how many of you want to join a group and be called a newbie and for it to be printed for all to see, especially after everything you've accomplished in your life?. This isn't being sensitive or ridiculous. I have never joined a forum and had this moniker put on me. What's the point? Can't you just say newcomer to the forum or does that take up to much bandwidth?. Just say nothing. We all know who the new guy is and can point him in the right direction. Heck, you provide a wonderful amount of information for the new....bie....comer so the person doesn't have to ask a question which has been asked a million times before. I've gone week after week answering the same question about defraging and resources, etc., but labeling the person a newbie has no effect on creating warmth in the community. Heck, the person knows where they stand and you all do to. " You all ", yes I'm from Virginia. Don't you know how sickening it is to see " newbie " under my handle. I'd rather have ************ under it. I don't need a valium and I don't care about respect. We can all call each other want we want in our posts. That's fine. Do our sig thing. Whatever. But, newbie?. I just don't get it. I think I've said all I can say about it. I don't know. I can really drag a subject out. New blood is why this world changes for the better. Get rid of newbie and this forum will be better.

Robert King of the Universe and basically a novice computer user.

Jeez man, calm down

so calm down

Somebody needs a vacation and a valium
Old Oct 20, 2002, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Well parmagrantesandseti you will be happy to know that with your latest posts you are getting ever closer to losing your status of newbie, and your new status will be Junior and then you can continue your fight of oppression as you will soon be called a junior.

Peter

Last edited by peter_uk; Oct 20, 2002 at 02:16 PM.