CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 18, 2002, 03:55 PM
Veteran

Default !! Business License ??

sponsored links

Hi,

In order to open an online business in selling goods I gather I will need to get a business license.

How do people go about getting business license's in the UK?

Is there anything I should know?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 02:11 AM

Have a good read (and make sure you enjoy it ) of this site: ***********.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:45 AM
Veteran

so if i start a website selling off or auctioning electronic goods will i need a license?

is it a long and painfull process in order to legally sell things over the net?

many thanks
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:24 PM

I don't know about the UK but in the US its pretty easy, and costs about $250 to have a business liscense set up, the first step is to set up your articles of orginization, ect. to get your tax id. then you apply for your business liscence.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:49 PM

If you intend making money (ie income) from this business then its best to tell the Inland Revenue what you're up to so you can pay tax on the income. Its illegal not to do this so you're better to get it sorted out than face difficult questions further down the road.

This is a simple process of just filling in one form and sending it off to them. You can get the form at their site or by phoning them. After this you will get a big pack with all sorts of info in and you can also phone their helpline at any time to ask questions.

You should read up to find any regualtions associated with your industry and especially online selling such as credit card transactions etc.

I'm assuming your wanting to go at it as a sole proprietorship? In this case its simple enough and doesn't cost a thing... one form, arrange tax payment, sort out your NI and you're done

HTH

Last edited by clook; Oct 19, 2002 at 12:51 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 01:04 PM
Veteran

thanks, so once i have done this with them i will have a legal buisness and will be alowed to sell products to the public?

many thanks